Only have one of...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I only have one A type mandrel. I also have a B mandrel. I'm always waiting for the lacquer finish to dry before using the mandrel again. I put several coats of lacquer on (usually 3 weeks) and then wait additional week. would like to use the mandrel A to continue to turn other pens. Would you?

A buy a second A mandrel
B. make a second set of bushing for the B mandrel [plastic] to do the finishing, [lacquer] with and continue use the mandrel A to turn pens
c. do both

any other ideas? I do take the pen stock off the mandrel for a week's time to thoroughly dry.

thanks for any answers

bill daniels
;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

1/4" Carriage bolt, 6 inches long, with plastic nuts. Lowes, costs about $1.00 ea. You can fit one pen on each. there is enough threaded end left to put it in a Jacobs chuck and turn it on medium or slow and apply sanding sealer, top coat, etc. 6" is just big enough that it turns FAIRLY straight on your lathe, any longer and you do get some wobble. I've done a 12" and it wobbles. (WARNING: this is for 7mm pens. I'm not sure what size bolt to use for the 10 mm, I will research that and get back to you, don't have a Cigar kit in my pile right now. El Grande would use a bigger Carriage bolt of course.) The plastic nuts are important, I also buff these with tripoli and white diamond and the plastic keeps the metal bolt from blackening up my buffing wheels. I turn pens on my mandrel, remove and put on "bolt mandrel" and finish 6 at a time. I place them in a square Tupperware so that the wood never touches the edge of the Tupperware. (I'm using Tupperware in the generic sense, I think I've got Rubbermaid).
Thanks.

rherrell

Get some wooden dowels as Cav mentioned. I use 3/16 and 1/4" cut into 6" lengths. Wrap some 3/4" masking tape around the dowel in two spots so it will hold the two barrels snugly, add more tape for larger tubes. Then make a rack or something to support the dowel on the ends so you can lay them flat. Then you can pick one up and shoot a coat of lacquer any time you want.:)[8D];)

Oh by the way, I noticed you said it takes you 3 weeks to put on several coats of lacquer. I put on 10 coats in under 2 hours. Lacquer dries fast enough to recoat every few minutes.

workinforwood

or, maybe buy some of them plastic expansion nuts like you'd use for inserting in drywall..they come in many sizes. get one that fits good, insert screw enough to expand plastic which holds pen upright and hang from a string. Just another el cheapo idea that I think would work.

MDWine

I use the threaded rod for the 'finishing mandrel'
I use nuts and tapered washers to seal the tube preventing the finish from getting inside.
I'll get some pics if anyone is interested. I've been using this method for 3 years!
(3 years, and one month!)

Top Bottom