One-Up on Dumb & Dumber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

Yesterday I used my new "Professional Pen Turning Mandrel" (See picture #1). After turning the pen I could not get the mandrel to release from the base. It was stuck, I later determined the jajs have close and will not release. That being said, I found a Phillips Head screwdriver that fit inside. Now for the Dumb & Dumber part! I inserted the screwdriver in the end of the base, raised it up and slammed the handle of the screwdriver on the bench. As I pushed down I realized the screwdriver had come out and my finger was between the two parts! The mandrel did not come out, but I found that my finger is not a Phillips Head (See picture #2! I guess the count will have to be 9 1/2 for today.
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Picture #!
2008614134731_P1010001.jpg

Picture #2

2008614134931_P1010003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Yep .... SOFTLY would be the operative word there alright.

Try using a punch from the set that Harbor Freight sells. They are the tool to be used when performing the procedure in this discussion. Always make sure the diameter of the punch is a bit smaller than the opening otherwise you may have to hit it from the other side to get the punch out as well.

BTW, the finger WILL heal in time. :)

redfishsc

Originally posted by scotirish

Yesterday I used my new "Professional Pen Turning Mandrel" (See picture #1). After turning the pen I could not get the mandrel to release from the base. It was stuck, I later determined the jajs have close and will not release. That being said, I found a Phillips Head screwdriver that fit inside. Now for the Dumb & Dumber part! I inserted the screwdriver in the end of the base, raised it up and slammed the handle of the screwdriver on the bench. As I pushed down I realized the screwdriver had come out and my finger was between the two parts! The mandrel did not come out, but I found that my finger is not a Phillips Head (See picture #2! I guess the count will have to be 9 1/2 for today.
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

So much for "luck of the Irish"[}:)]. Man that looks painful!

JeffinWIS

scot, what type of collet does that thing use? ER? Normally the collet will engage the nut before being put into the taper. Loosening the nut then pulls the collet out. They do get "stuck" at times though. Loosening the nut until it gets some tension on it, then giving it a light hammer tap on the side of the nut, should "POP" the collet right out.

RichAldrich

I purchased the sheaths that go over your fingers for protection when you are carving. I purchased them to protect my fingers when I attempt similar solutions. They are conveniently on my bench where I can see them when my fingers are bleeding.

Rich

Russianwolf

I have often said that the single most accident prone tool in any shop is a phillips screwdriver. I've hurt myself more times with one than any other tool in my shop I know.

heal up.

sbell111

Generally speaking, a person hurts himself the most by using a tool in a way other than it was designed, by not paying proper attention, or both.

Top Bottom