One Ugly Pencil! First time to make one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

teamtexas

Well today was my 1st time to attempt to make a pen/pencil. It was quite a learning experience. When I was picking up some supplies for a table project I decide to pick up a kit to give pen turning a try.

The 1st thing I noticed as I was cutting the blank to length was that my saws seem to be too big to cut the 5" blank down. I will need to make a better sled for my table saw or a zero clearance fence for my miter saw.

I drilled the blanks with a new 7mm brad point bit. The 1st one went a bit of center (need to make a better jig to hold it). I moved to a different machine for the next one but it was running at a slower rpm and blew out the bottom half of the blank. So I grabbed some scrap Brazailian Cherry and cut another blank. That one also split at the bottom while drilling. I tried one more time with small bites and managed to get it done.

Moved over the the mandrel and set the pieces up to find that the brand new mandrel is not running true in the middle. Note to self....get some bushings to turn between centers and loose the mandrel.

Got it turned down and left it too fat (I don't like the way it looks with the thin band in the middle).

I attempted to finish the wood with some thin CA. I will be rewatching those videos! I had the wood smooth and looking ok as I sanded down to 1000 grit. But then I applied about 4 coats of CA, which looked like crap. I resanded it and then worked my way up to 12000 grit micro mesh.
The acrylic turned out better, I wet sanded it to 12000 grit also. I applied some Hut wax on the wood to try and make it look a little better.

Maybe the next one will be better!

Dan

Ps I also took a crappy phone picture of it.

Attachments

• 1st Pen Pencil attempt.jpg
    1st Pen Pencil attempt.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 285
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

Looks good. I take it you are using a drillpress? Try drilling on the lathe. Did you back the drill bit out every once in a while to clear the shavings? A center punch and center drill bits help keeping the bit true.

thewishman

Whew, you got the first one done! Put it away and save it - later, you can pull it out and see how far you have progressed. It will be priceless.

The good news is that it will be very easy to make the next one better.:)

Congrats on getting started!

teamtexas

Looks good. I take it you are using a drillpress? Try drilling on the lathe.

Yea Mike it was a drillpress on the 1st one, but my mill on the last 3. The mill has a nice vise to hold the piece verticle. Backing out with little often was how managed to get the last one done. I would go to the latheto drill it, but I don't own a centering chuck for square stock.

Congrats on getting started
Thanks Chris

As far as off center drilling goes if you get a hole through the blank and have enough wood on each end to satisfy the hardware the hole and tube will become the center for you, just turn it. If you are not using a blank that absolutely needs precision you will be just fine. That is a fine looking pencil you made you should be proud of it.

Top Bottom