One of my first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fredito

I got my lathe about 1.5-2 weeks ago and this is one of my first pens. It's myrtle wood my parents got in a recent trip of theirs to Oregon. It was a 4x4 block so I couldn't match the grain pattern. I did a funline kit since that is all I have! I would like to do some of the nicer kits but I figure I need to wait awhile since I am discovering this hobby is about as expensive as it is addicting. I don't plan in selling my pens but plan to use them as gifts. It's finished with friction finish as it was cheap...I know...quality costs money. I plan on giving this to my parents as a memento from there trip. Please let me know what I could do better an if anyone knows of other kits that are good for a beginner please let me know. I was a little shy about posting the pic after seeing some of the amazing work on here but figured it might make me better!

a

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's where most of us start. Another good pen for a beginner is a sierra. It's 1 barrel, and is actually easier to assemble than a slimline. Slimlines are actually a little harder than the larger pens, especially when it comes to pressing the parts together. Then there will be dozens of kits to select from. I'd suggest keeping the selection small. This way you can get good at several types, and not have too many kits to keep track of. In other words, don't do what I did when I got started.:rolleyes: But if you stay in this long enough, you'll come full circle, and the slimline will be back in your supply of kits. They are very fun to modify, and you don't worry to much about mistakes when experimenting.

Anyway, welcome to the addiction, and have fun.

WriteON

Looks good. Great start. Don't be shy about anything. We start at the beginning. We learn by doing and from each other. Friction polish is fine. I swear by it. My turning is strictly a hobby. I give stuff away and leave it on the table top for now. Have no idea where it's going. I write with a Pilot. I might use one of my Magnum Bolt Shavers. Good luck and enjoy. Welcome aboard. Frank

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Rockytime

Your pen looks great to me. I'm new to this pen turning too. I bought a half dozen cheapie slimline pen kits to learn on. I just give them away and they are appreciated. It allows me to practice on the cheap.

Banished

Hey Fredito!

Welcome & Nice pen! I just got here recently myself. I tend to sit in the back of the classroom and listen quietly and learn ALOT as you will. I have about a half dozen under my belt now.The first couple I rushed like a young boy on his first date.:biggrin: Now I spend more time trying to get those fine details right.
This is my latest effort for my wife which I plan to do more of so she can donate $ to the center that helped her so much. And Yes, I learned my latest lesson ..ghosting I believe they call it (the tube showing through the acrylic) which you can see in this picture but worked out well in my favor this time.

Remember... Have Fun! Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Big

Fredito

That is a very nice looking pen and I am glad you are using your skill to help the center. I was excited to see you can buy just the tubes as I have exploded a few so far

If you are worried about the outcome. Go to lowes, ace, Home Depot or what ever is close. Buy a 2X2 or 2X4 pick a board and then mill it to a square. Cut it into a pen blank. Turn it however you want, if it looks good to you make a real pen using the dummy blank as a templet.

rodtod11

It looks great! Some of the guys spoke about the Sierra pen. That is a really good one to try also. Go to You Tube. There are a ton of videos there that will give you a lot of great info. Do a search for CA finish in you tube. One of the guys there did an excellent tutorial on that finishing method. After you do a few of the less expensive pens try out a couple of the High End pens. Penn State Pens , Exotic Blanks have them. I made several of the Broadwell series as gifts and made some three piece and two piece sets and WOW!!! Hate to brag but they really turned out incredible. I did some in Tru-Stone, put it in a nice case with a glass top, and the person I made it for says, "I can now sign Peace Treaties!" Another person I made the Majestic Squire for said " I Feel like Trump when I pick it up from my desk to sign something." The highlight of my very short career in pen making was a three piece Majestic set in White/Gold Tru-Stone as a retirement set for a 35 year career. Wow!!! The feeling of having done that and getting the approval from everyone that saw it was incredible. Didnt get paid for any of those, they were all gifts. Welcome to the Hobby, dont worry about selling, and dont be afraid to try something new. If you get stuck, there are so many really great and generous people here ready to help you! I can t tell you how much I have learned from the guys here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom