One more bullet pen question!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I need to beg for a little help to maybe shorten my learning time(us old folks don't have time to make a lot of extra mistakes:biggrin:) The pens I'm trying now uses a .308 cartridge and a Hornaday 168gr,BTHP bullet.I want to solder the tube in at the primer end,but since the tube doesn't extend all the way through the casing,how do you keep the bullet end of the tube lined up straight so the bullet will seat against it when pressed in?I've thought of turning somesort of an alighnment jig, but maybe there is an easier way.Thanks pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

A Hornady .308 168g HPBT bullet is a good choice. It has a long enough boat-tail that a 7mm tube will settle around it and self-center. If you seat the bullet before soldering, using a 308 Winchester case and a slimline tube, the tube should stick out of the case head by about 3/8 inch. You can solder in the tube and (if you want) trim it afterwards. I've taken to trimming the tube to length (so that the end result is a tube that protrudes about 1/8" when completed) beforehand.

One method is to hold the cartridge upright in jaws that won't mar the case, make sure the tube is centered around the bullet, and solder. Be aware that the tube can float up and get off-center while soldering, so it's best to either hold the tube down or restrain it with a jig.

I've soldered in lots of tubes this way. I learned to hold them down at the beginning, but have since made myself a jig that keeps the tube centered (even on bullets that don't have a usable boat-tail).

Regards,
Eric

surveyzo

not sure I really understand but i put a piece of electriacal shrink wrap around the tube at the bullet end and makes a snug fit.

Alonzo

papNal

not sure I really understand but i put a piece of electriacal shrink wrap around the tube at the bullet end and makes a snug fit.

Alonzo
Thanks,I do use shrink wrap on longer tubes,but this tube doesn't extend down into the cartridge neck.Erics idea sounds good,I'll have to rig me up a jig. pap

Crayman

I have made my own jig from a steel bolt, did not have any brass or Aluminum. It is basically a stepped rod with the first section turned to fit a 7 mm tube and then step turned to fit the casing, and the length of the step is the depth the bullet sits in the casing. A member over @ TPS has video out on this technique, that is were I "borrowed" the jig idea from. It also pays to get some fine solider for less mess.

Top Bottom