One end seems larger than the other

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

I'm having lots of fun turning pens, I should say it's my new addiction. I have one trouble that seems to be bothering me and I don't know if its just my imagination. When turning a two piece pen (such as a slimline) the two sections look the same on my lathe. When I assemble the parts, the lower part (with the nib) always seems thicker than the top portion which has the clip. Is this just because the clip gives a reference to size and the tip doesn't have that? I measure them, and the sizes are very similar but dimensions aren't exactly equal (one may have a more gradual taper, but again the differences are very small). I know posting a picture would help, and as soon as I can get around to photographing the pens i will do that. Has anyone else had this similar experience?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, check your bushings first. Are they both the same size? They should be. From there, YOU control the size. Are you turning down to the bushings equally or do you favor the headstock or tailstock end, when you turn? Not unusual-recognize it and decide if you want to change your look, or not.

jttheclockman

Your eye usually does not lie. What is a good practice for beginners is after they think they have things where they want them, take a white paper towel and place it on the bed. Now look down at the backside of the pen and you will get a better view of it. Sometimes the metal parts make for deceiving looks.

knifecut

Swap the barrels around on the mandrel once you think you've finished, and look again. If one side still seems larger, turn it down some more.

Last edited:

randyrls

Ditto what Lenny said! Cheap digital calipers are your best friends. I have several so I can set one to the nib, center band and clip end at the same time.

Never trust bushings. Always set the calipers to the fitting size and turn down to that size with a little allowance for finishing. Not much if anything.

TIP: Set the digital caliper to the fitting and press the "Zero" button. Now whne you put the caliper on the blank, it will show how much you need to remove.

I do quite a few modified slim lines, or comfort pens. To get an even sweep on a tapered pen, remove the center bushing when you get close to the correct size and then turn to finished size using calipers to size the center.

PenMan1

I teach beginning woodturners and I see this all the time. The beginners tend to cut over the bushings, making no two the same size. The best method is to use the bushings to "hold" the blank on the mandrel. THEN USE CALIPERS to measure the actual parts going on the pen and turn the wood to those measurements.

At one time, to save time in class, I made several sets of "slimline measuring gauges". I gave one set to each student. I was amazed that no two of the exact same kits purchased at the same time were the same size. From that day forward, we all use calipers in class.

Top Bottom