Olympia Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrd24

Having a very senior moment;)
Just finished all of the pieces and parts for an Olympia Pen.
I have put everything together but the upper and lower barrels won't
stay together. I feel like I've done something really stupid[xx(]
Can the tube adapter be put in backwards[?]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

The first Olympia that I did I put the adaptor in backwards so yest it is possable. When you press the adaptor in it should slide in pretty easy most of the way and then be a tighter fit, in fact the last several that I have done I have made I have pressed that part in by hand.

Wayne

Bryan, the Olympia kit makes a sharp looking pen. I turned a tenon on the bottom barrel so it would be the same size as the CB. I can't take credit for the idea - it came from someone on this forum but I can't remember who. My LOML likes it better than the usual eurostyle. She also likes the cap about 1/8" shorter - says it looks better. The instructions say you can shorter it by 1/4" without affecting the mechanism. It's also a good idea to check the fit of the lower barrel in the CB before pressing in the tranny DAMHIKT.[B)]

woodscavenger

George, my thougts exactly on the lower barrel. My wife disagrees but she can't use a skew, she thinks it's a screw driver so I get to make all of the creative decisions.[:D] Except for my first olympia I have done all of them with the larger bottom barrel.

Shane, my wife told me there was something wrong with the Olympias I made previously. She said they didn't look right - out of proportion or something. Couldn't put my finger on it until I saw your post and pic earlier this week (you're the forumite that I couldn't remember the name of just up the page a bit). It's such a simple solution. She likes the one I made with the larger lower barrel and the shorter cap. I guess the next ones will be done this way.

mick

Color me stupid but after all this time and reading about Olympia pens I just noticed what they look like in the above picture. My question: Is this pen the same as what Woodcraft calls a 7mm Deco pen?

I never bought a Woodcraft Deco or a CSUSA Deco but they sure look the same. I think the others have a spring loaded clip, don't they[?] I think on the CSUSA and Woodcraft pen you have to turn a specific size tenon on the end of the cap for the CB - on the Olympia it's the same but you turn the wood down to the brass tube. I think there would be less chance for a bad fit [?] Just my opinion.

mick

Thanks George , I like the option of turning down to the brass just as with a Flat Top ...it does make for a better fit, less chance of error. I'll have to try a few of these kits.

wayneis

Mick and George, these are not the same kits. There are a few differences between the two. Such as the centerband, the Olympia has the greek styled or decorated CB and the Art Deco has the same old CB that a lot of kits have. The Olympia uses two different size tubes, the top is an 8mm or O with the bottom being a 7mm. The AD is just a 7mm for top and bottom. One of the largest differences is the finishes that the Olympia kits are offered in, many more than the AD. I started out making the AD but tried the Olympia when it came out and now it is my kit of choise when I want a spring loaded clip kit. Also don't forget that with BB offering the Olympia kits the price difference favors the Olympia.

Another difference is in the clip, with the AD the clips always seem to end up bending one way or the other. The Olympia if assembled per the instructions will always end up perfectly straight up and down.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I stand corrected. I agree with you about the Olympia clip and also know that if you don't put the clip on an upside down drill bit and jam in a couple of toothpicks you'll get a scratched up ugly cap. The choice of platings and the price is what sold me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom