Olivewood Hybrid Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BassBlaster

Hey everyone. New guy here. I just posted in the introduction forum. I just wanted to post this pic so you guys can kind of see the level I'm currently at as a rookie penturner. This is my latest pen.

Please let me know where I can be better, thats why I'm here. I'm learning all by myself as I have no one to teach me.

Hybrid Cigar with Bethlehem Olivewood

Pen.jpg

Looking forward to learning from all you guys!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BassBlaster

Nice looking cigar. Looking at you pic., the barrel is a little strong to the center band
Thanks. I notice that on most of my pens. Whats the fix? I buy my bushings from the same supplier I buy each kit from. This is a Berea kit and was turned with Berea bushings. It was a perfect match to the bushings when it came off the lathe.

Looks pretty nice. I just got some BOW, can't wait to turn it.

What I would do is verify that the components actually match the bushings (with a dial caliper or something). Some guys on here actually measure each component and then match the barrel to that measurement, using the bushings just as a rough guide. I personally don't do that, but it's one idea.

SteveG

You have turned a nice pen there. The lower barrel appears to be underturned to the CB because the CB is in the shape of a bead at that point. The barrel is actually about the same diameter as the largest diameter of the bead. Many who turn the cigar kit will slightly "roundover" the barrel or overturn it a bit. That yields a nice transition into the CB. Try it...you will like it!

BassBlaster

You have turned a nice pen there. The lower barrel appears to be underturned to the CB because the CB is in the shape of a bead at that point. The barrel is actually about the same diameter as the largest diameter of the bead. Many who turn the cigar kit will slightly "roundover" the barrel or overturn it a bit. That yields a nice transition into the CB. Try it...you will like it!
That makes sence. I'm going to spin a couple cigars tomorrow so I'll give that a shot. Thanks!!

BassBlaster

Looks like a great pen!

Is there a Center Band ring missing? As there's normally a Black-Ti ring after the large Gold part?

Cigar Hybrid™ 17D Pen Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods
You know, now that you mention it, YES, there is a piece missing. I didnt even realize because this is the first hybrid I turned. I also had a problem with the top barrel being to short and I had to modify the mechanism slightly to eliminate a very small gap in the center band. I thought I just recieved a bad kit. Now I have to go check all the other kits I have and make sure they are right.

I'm sure glad this was a pen I gave away rather than sold to someone!!

crabcreekind

You may want to sand with 600 just to even out the big lines in the ca, but if you do this add some more coats of ca. Then mm.
Great Pen BTW!

Flaturner

Nice Work and Welcome

Welcome to the IAP, Dennis. The pen looks very nice. I agree with flippedcracker about the caliper. There is very little variation in kits but I always check nib, centerband, and cap for exact size and turn to clear those. Then 20 coats of CA and MM to match the exact fit. It may not be necessary but I do it anyway. According to LOML, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist.

BassBlaster

Thanks for all the kind words and great tips!! Its great to get so many replies being a brand new member. Some forums, the new guys get ignored.

plano_harry

Nice pen! The Blk/Gold Cubano Hybrid is my favorite style and you did a good job with it. I agree with SteveG on overturning just a little below that ring. Welcome to IAP

PenPal

I see plenty to admire the timber is about the deepest and best Bethlehem Olive Wood.
You have shown your pen at quite a high size allowing some to hop in and pound the minor probs you have so far mostly kind remarks tons of advice using calipers etc.

My take is your pen is beautifully presented and finished and as well I am certain the receiver of the pen will always be happy with it and when you see them next swallow your tongue and enjoy the well earned praise.

For a first showing there is no doubt in my mind it is outstanding, personal predudices abound on the IAP regarding shape, centre band or not, fully shop made kits etc. Try to develop your own methods of turning, timber selection, shaping, choice of kits regardless of what we think, ask your Mum or Dad or sweetheart, allow them to enjoy your pens free of doubt or introduced fears.

I can foretell great pens such as this one will follow.

Kind regards from over the pond.

Peter.

BassBlaster

I see plenty to admire the timber is about the deepest and best Bethlehem Olive Wood.
You have shown your pen at quite a high size allowing some to hop in and pound the minor probs you have so far mostly kind remarks tons of advice using calipers etc.

My take is your pen is beautifully presented and finished and as well I am certain the receiver of the pen will always be happy with it and when you see them next swallow your tongue and enjoy the well earned praise.

For a first showing there is no doubt in my mind it is outstanding, personal predudices abound on the IAP regarding shape, centre band or not, fully shop made kits etc. Try to develop your own methods of turning, timber selection, shaping, choice of kits regardless of what we think, ask your Mum or Dad or sweetheart, allow them to enjoy your pens free of doubt or introduced fears.

I can foretell great pens such as this one will follow.

Kind regards from over the pond.

Peter.
I intentionally posted this size pic so any and all flaws would be visible. I want the critisizm so I can improve. I know there are some incredible craftsman on this sight and I would love to be at thier level someday. All critisizm is welcome.

Your post is probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my work outside of my family. Its greatly appreciated and motivates me to keep at it. Ive probably turned somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pens. This being maybe my 5th cigar so I'm still a complete rookie but I find I get a little better with each one. I really love making these pens and I feel like its something I could potentially be really good at but I still have a lot to learn. I'm learning through trial and error and from sites such as this one. I was thinking of joining a turning club but I'd prefer to focus on learning high end pen making right now rather than just general turning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom