olive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

simnewt

Hi I've turned probably a dozen pens by now (slimlines, el toros, custom draftmatics) and I was looking at delving into some other woods outside of what I've been using.

I found this amazing example of Bethlehem olive and have been searching for some that would be similar but most sites hardly even show a picture of the product (let alone the specific blanks you'll be getting in the mail). Anyone know of some I could get a hold of; similar in color and the crazy marble-esque grain? Is it a burl or just a crazy piece of root?

Statesman+Rh+$26+Gold+w-BOW+001-closed-sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Great photo, and beautiful pen , the wood looks spalted and possibly root area. I have done some from local olive root with similar random patterning ,but not with those fine black lines, you may search a long time to get another as good as that one :( It may well be a keeper hehe , Cheers ~ John

fiferb

I've made well over a hundred olive wood pens and have never seen any as striking as that. I believe it is an exceptionally rare burl or root burl. Beautiful work. I doubt you'll find another like it but good luck.

mrcook4570

Great looking pen. As others have stated, most olive wood looks nice, but I'll bet that fewer than 1 in 1000 have that much figure.

Nolan

Thanks for the pitch and yes I have regular, high figure and burl. Burl or super high figure like that is harder to get and expesive, also tends to come from blanks that are a little rough as far as having crack and void. Seeing how you cant get whole burl out of country I havent gotten any whole stuff to do my own milling but my guess is these are coming from root sections. Just my best guess based on all the other burl I touch. Anyway let me know as I have plently in stock (probably 8000 or so blanks and a few hundrad of them being burl)

Check with Nolan here on the forum.

robutacion

Hi I've turned probably a dozen pens by now (slimlines, el toros, custom draftmatics) and I was looking at delving into some other woods outside of what I've been using.

I found this amazing example of Bethlehem olive and have been searching for some that would be similar but most sites hardly even show a picture of the product (let alone the specific blanks you'll be getting in the mail). Anyone know of some I could get a hold of; similar in color and the crazy marble-esque grain? Is it a burl or just a crazy piece of root?

I'm sorry to inform you that, you can search all you like and you aren't going to find another blank like that ever again. Even from the same tree, you will never find a piece of wood that will give 2 identical pen blanks...! I know, I cut large olive trees to the processed exclusively as all sorts of turning blanks. I have been claiming for a long time that a large olive tree, in the best of the luck, will give less than 5% of wood that can produce blanks of similar nature (totally unique figure and coloration) as yours, certain trees will produce 0% of such gems and all the trees that I'm talking about were all planted in the 1840' in a group which I've got the contract to remove them, according to some agreed timing conditions. Just to get my first one, I had to wait 3 years, and that was 2 years ago.

These trees were plants brought in by our first wave of Settlers from Italy, that means that the species "gene pool" these trees belong to, are the same as those growing in Italy, particularly in the South, and as many people would know, there are no more "pure" and true Olive tree species then those coming from that Country! No, I'm not Italian...!:cool:

What I'm trying to say is that, even the best quality olive tree species, aren't guaranteed to produce those type "gems", they will produce gems but, nothing compared with that. Is that one part of the tree or the root...??? to me, it seems "difficult" to have come from the tree, meaning all the tree surface above ground level, under ground is the root and contrary to what some people say/believe, olive trees do not produce burls, either above or under ground.

The classification of the tree as such, is all the growth found vertically, and the root is all growth found horizontally, which with old olive trees, in not uncommon to find a root system that can exist a few feet off the ground. All the "bulging" looking, is not any sort of burl but simply the amalgamation and connecting of the large root structural "limbs", pushing the tree base upwards!

Withing the root system of the olive tree, there are internal "segments" that will produce areas of burl look-a-like. These will require at least 100 years to develop, activated by the acids of the tree natural oils. These pockets can be seen while the tree is still alive/attached to the root but, those areas will develop faster, after the tree has been cut. This acceleration process will take between 20 to 40 years to achieve its maximum results, with deterioration (rotting/spalting) in the form of a white fungi!

With all this said, I will not certainly say that I have some blanks the same as yours, either the gems from the tree or from the root, what I can say is that I have a very limited numbers of gems from both locations that could produce equally "exceptional" results...!

If you get stuck, send me a PM, I will see what I can do...!:wink:

PS: I would suggest for you also read a recent post (#4) of mine here, in relation to what Nolan correctly stated on the first paragraph of his post above.

Good luck.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Mickey

It's the really excellent finish you got that brings out that beautiful grain so well. Just do one more thing, re-shoot the picture with a less distracting background. The marble competes with the wood grain.

simnewt

I apologize that I wasn't perfectly clear; the pen is not my work, it's an example photo I found online of a grain I would love to get close to. I'll have to post some photos of my work some time.

The site is here :

http://www.pensbykaspar.com/2.html

The fractures, fine dark lines, and the muted tone (some olive I find to be too yellowy). Thank you all for the very informative responses, I'll pm some of you for more information.

parnelli_97

I did some Bethlehem Olive wood pens for Christmas gifts last year. I accidentally found out to get some MAJOR drama out of the pen you had to burn the finish. I was applying a friction polish and noticed when the finish started to smoke the wood would darken up. Then I had to fade in the burn. I started to notice how much the pen started to pop when it was burned. So I purposefully burned all the blanks. The key was not to let one area burn in too much or it looks like rings of burning. I'll have to see if I have any blanks left to post some pics for you.

Top Bottom