Olive root stumps, a few pens in it, huh...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Last Wednesday 20-7-11, I organized for a local hearth moving business, to pick up and transport some large Olive root stumps that I score, after they were ripped-off the ground by a big D-9 Caterpillar bulldozer, a couple of months ago, next to a road, just outside of McLaren Vale.

These were removed to allow building of 2 driveways for a new wine making factory, that is now in its initial construction stages. I didn't know about this, until all, the "good" wood was taken away by some wood-turners in the area, but the bulk of the wood was cut and taken by an Italian fellow that I know.

He uses it for firewood and in one of my last visits to his place, I say a large pile of big Olive wood logs that he didn't have a few weeks back so, I asked him if the trees were cut at ground level or the roots have been pulled out, as I was looking for some Olive roots, thats when he said that, the full trees(10) were ripped off the ground in one piece and piled in 2 large piles about 2 months ago.

He never told me anything as we had already a few "arguments" about him burning the olive wood as firewood when I struggle to get any decent Olive wood logs for wood-turning but that to him means nothing, as he only burns that sort of timbers and keep all his finds very close to his chest because if I know about it, I will buy it for my use while he pays nothing for it, as people sometimes don't thing that the Olive wood has any value...!:mad:

So, and while he knows that I get mad when I find that he found good quality Olive wood and cut it all up for damn firewood...!:mad: I can't do anything after he got it cut that small so, telling me about the root/stumps, didn't bother him as they have no value to him, as they are always full of soil/rocks all other sort of stuff that requires lots of time cleaning, before the chainsaws can get near the wood. It is also the fact of the shear weight of some of the roots, in excess to 1 tonne, making handling them manually, and impossible task.

Anyway, I drove to the location and spoke to the person in charge, that didn't hesitate in saying, "Mate, take as much as you want, the more the better...!". Sure, for him, having someone to clean the mess up for him was a good thing as, those stumps are normally burn but, he couldn't do it where they were close to the road and under power lines so, he had either to get someone to picked them up, put them in a truck and take to the middle of a paddock somewhere where they could be burn or drive to the local bump, where it would cost him $50 per tone to dump it, plus the truck and machinery time.

Still, when I mentioned that I had to contract someone with tip trucks and a bob-cat to get as much as I could, everything if it would fit, and that I would expect him to contribute with some of the expenses, he obviously rejected any involvement in any costs so, I was left all by myself to pay the bill...!

I really wanted some of those large/old olive wood stumps so, I had no other choice than to cover the cost of sending someone from my town with a double truck and a medium size bob-cat to get those monsters...!

I met with the machine operator on site and something did tell me to put a strong chainsaw in the wagon, just in case and sure, the first 2 larger stumps the bob-cat (900kg lifting capacity) tried to work on, were just too heavy for the machine so, the chainsaw allow me to cut a large portion of each one, just enough for the bob-cat to lift them into the truck.

After over an hour of fighting with these large stumps, the truck was pretty much to capacity and was not possible for us to take it all, 3 other large stumps were behind a large pile of rubbish that would taken awhile to get to when, we didn't have enough room for them anyway so, packed-up and went...!

At my end (storage paddock), the job was too easy, he backed the truck to where I wanted to drop them and the tilt tray, did the rest...!
By the time we finish was getting dark and I was paying his time since 2:30 afternoon @ $120.00 per hour so, 4 hours went quick...!:eek::mad:

I/we have not returned to the storage paddock until this afternoon, to unload the wood from the timber mill, so I had a better chance to give a good look on what we brought home, 1/3 of the weight is soil/rocks...!:mad:.
Anyway, there are at least 4 large stumps and some either broken in half or smaller ones with some other small stuff we picked up to fill in between the gaps on the truck...!

I decided to go around and cut any long pieces and any short trunks that were still attached to the stump, together with 2 large trunks I cut down there, to allow the bob-cat to lift the up. These were/are 2 nice logs full of heartwood, that I sliced/slabbed up free hand for easy handling.

Them and a few other pieces well, more than half a trailer of it, was brought home for me to process ASAP (already started this evening...!) and that is the wood that you can see on top of a palled in the backyard. There is a lot a yellow stuff (sapwood) in it, and I want to cut all the sapwood out to allow the heartwood to start drying and at the same time reduce considerably the volume require to store the processed wood, compared with the raw volume of what I brought home. The sapwood will be good firewood next year or the next...! nothing goes to waste, in here.:biggrin:

The problem with all this is that, "opportunities" are rare and far in between, you either grab or lose it, there is no other way around it but, when one with very limited finances, gets jammed with a couple of opportunities at the same time (timber mill situation, and the olive roots), it certainly "sucks" you dry but, some how, I always manage to get things done to everyone's satisfaction so, I may be doing something right...! A little trust can go a long way...!:wink::biggrin:

So, here are some pics of this venture, enjoy...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3035_(1).jpg
    100_3035_(1).jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_3036_(1).jpg
    100_3036_(1).jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_3037_(1).jpg
    100_3037_(1).jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_3038_(1).jpg
    100_3038_(1).jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_3039_(1).jpg
    100_3039_(1).jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_3040_(1).jpg
    100_3040_(1).jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_3041_(1).jpg
    100_3041_(1).jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_3042_(1).jpg
    100_3042_(1).jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 100_3115_(1).jpg
    100_3115_(1).jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_3124_(1).jpg
    100_3124_(1).jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

You seem to be scoring all sorts of great wood lately George, Looks like you will be having a lot of fun cleaning and cutting it all up in the coming days and months.

Bruce

I ran into a similar case in South Texas. A man was burning eboy for firewood. We offered him double mesquite in trade but he would not do it. I wanted to choke him, twice. I did not realize olive trees got that big.

robutacion

Gofer,

Yes, my good friend, I have certainly been blessed with some of these opportunities, even when some have been a work in progress for some years but I never give up...!:wink::biggrin:

I may have also became a little more active in my wood searches, since the new(ish) pain killers medication was approved by the doctors, giving me a little less pain to live with, therefore allowing me to move a little better. The problem is that, the new pain killers medication is accelerating/aggravating my spinal problems that, are only getting worse and never any better, by handling the woods/weights, etc...!

I may be running out of time and this is my opportunity to catch up, if so, I'm OK with it...!:)

nsfr1206

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy reading and seen the pics, is always something to learn...!:wink:

Wooden Affairs

I have passed the stage of thinking/wishing to choke some of these people, there are mentalities that can't be changed and you will find them anywhere in the world...!:mad:

I tend to be particular careful in looking for wood piles, this time of the year, when the open burning season is half way through (May to August), particular the second part of the burning season, when most people will gather they wood/trees and pile them for burning, towards the end of the season.

Some I manage to reach well before they are set alight, some I only find from the smoke, and is not the first time I manage to get the fire out so that I can salvage what I can and then let the burning continue, but the majority I should say, I found out too damn late, nothing left but ash, of woods that were too damn good to be burnt...!:mad::mad::mad:

We loose some, we win some, that's the way it is...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Spend part of the day, going through all those pieces of Olive that I had on the wooden pallet, and I'm glad to inform that, I manage to process it all, as I intended, there is, some of the best pieces, clean and remove the sapwood, cutting them is large chunks that will allow me to make anything out of them, from round to square blanks, etc, as for the rest I cut it all up in 1" slices for later cut into oversize pen blanks...!:wink:

Nice Olive wood smell all day but the damn sawdust always taste sour as hell...!
There was lots of sapwood on this lot, about 40% but some of the heartwood is top notch so, its all good...!:biggrin:

There is one thing that I hate about band-sawing some green woods, the Olive wood has to be one of the worse one, gumming everything to the buggery, making me stop all the time to scrape the stuff off the blade, wheels, bearings (guides, top and bottom) and unclog the 4' vacuum inlet that gets clogged with wet/green saw dust...!:mad:

All for a good cause, anyway...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3127_(1).jpg
    100_3127_(1).jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_3128_(1).jpg
    100_3128_(1).jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_3129_(1).jpg
    100_3129_(1).jpg