Old Lathe Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Fester

I am using an older small woodworking lathe (probably a hobbyist unit from the 1950s or 60s) to turn mostly resin pens. When I began a few years ago, I was able to purchase a mandrel for it from my local woodworking shop (I'm in Houston, so we have both Rockler and Woodcraft). Over the course of time, the shaft part developed some bow to it, and I replaced it. However, after a short time I discovered that the threads in the conical part were stripped. At this point the only mandrels available are the extendible ones. These are certainly flexible, but in my machine, that additional rotating mass adds more stress to the bearing in the head (which is not worn, but is also not replaceable for a new one), and keeps my barrels from turning perfectly true.

Has anyone else located a source for the larger sized mandrel (that is not extendible), or has anyone simply had a machine shop produce the conical portion, drill and thread the center as a Make Your Own?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

What do you mean larger size? Many sellers offer them that are not adjustable - woodcraft being one that comes to mind.

Also, that extra bit for the part that loosens to adjust the shaft length will not make a lick of difference on your bearings. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And there is a good chance you can find bearings to fit if you ever need to.

Dan Masshardt

low_48

Get some Devcon epoxy, putty up the end of the shaft and a little in the hole, then send the mandrel rod back in. Let it set for 24 hours, then turn some more pens!

sschering

Maybe it's time to switch to turning between centers.

If that isn't an option I would do a JB weld thread repair on the old mandrel taper.

kovalcik

The extendable mandrels really do not add much mass. Since the taper is hollowed out to allow the mandrel rod to pass through, some of the mass of the collet is offset. At least that is what it feels like when I handle them. When I get home I can weigh both versions see what the real difference is.

Bill Fester

Thanks everyone for your response. First off, to The Penguin, yes, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I believe there is an "A" and a "B", but I'm not sure which mine is (it's the larger diameter conical section. And I had never thought to try and J&B/ epoxy the shaft in there. That would certainly do the trick.

The Penguin

A & B has to do with the size of the mandrel rod itself - not the morse taper.

most kits have bushings based on the "A" size mandrel - the mandrels I linked you to are "A" mandrels.

Where I see more "B" bushings is for kits from the Berea Hardwoods site.

Top Bottom