Old dog, new trick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Have you ever pulled an old blank from your shelf/box and said "that looks boring". Then much later something caused you to make a pen with it, and you say "Wow! I didn't know that was hiding in that blank!".

In an effort to weed out some hidden gems (and since I got a new 3/8" drive center for Christmas and need to make some sawdust :cool:), I've started rounding and putting a fast, faux finish on a bunch of blanks. I'm the old dog; the new trick is that I've gotten it down to just a few minutes per blank. Kinda like this...

Started a bland looking blank - here's one of Constant's orange dyed blanks.
NT1.JPG

Drill a hole in the center so the drive center doesn't crack the blank (DAMHIKT :rolleyes:)
NT2.JPG

Mount the blank
NT3.JPG

Rough off the edges. You can do the whole blank, or just an end to get an idea of what the blank will eventually look like
NT4.JPG

After knocking the corners off, I lay my rounded skew on it's side and do a light scrape to smooth the blank. I'm not bothering with sanding for this activity, just trying to "git 'er done!"
NT5.JPG

I drip on one coat of thin CA, quickly wipe it even
NT6.JPG

We could easily stop here, since we have a pretty good idea of the coloration the blank will have under a finish... there's a lot more character in this blank than the exterior revealed!
NT7.JPG

But taking a quick pass with my secret weapon...
NT8.JPG

...shows the finish with a bit more shine, closer to a real finish.
NT9.JPG

Now when I dig through the blank box, I have a better idea what a finished pen might look like.
NT10.JPG

Here's my secret weapon - I've seen it in a couple auto part stores here. I've quit using Novus and use this as my final polish on both CA finishes and acrylic pens. Apply with a clean cotton cloth, and wipe with a clean part of the same cloth. And no, I am in no way affiliated with this product, just a satisfied customer.
NT20.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Good technique --

suggest you get a few junker open end wrenches to help size the ends to 3/4 - 11/16 - 5/8 as that will let you get largest round size for drilling later. Consistent sizes will fit collet chucks better. Cutting a square edge will make mounting in a scroll chuck much easier as the edge will face the end of the jaws.

Next step is getting some transtint or similar dyes and playing with colors and sanding to see what you can achieve. Hint -- keep good notes because you will find some that you want to do again. Plain woods can become dramatic with color -

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just a quick "unaffiliated" plug for Constant. Chances are if you get a bland looking blank from him, he already knows what lies beneath. I've never seen a bland blank come out of his shop. :biggrin:

Top Bottom