Old Craftsman Lathe Question....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I have a chance to pick up an old Craftsman lathe. The problems are: 1. The person who has it knows nothing about it. and 2. I have to drive 2 1/2 -3 hours just to look at it. Before I make the drive I thought I'd ask the forum first, since you've been a great help already.

Could I turn pens on this also?

25_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

The strange thing is you can turn pens on almost anything that spins! Now whether this is a lathe worth travelling for is another question.

I would ask about how speeds are changed on this and what the threading is on the headstock. That would tell you how easy parts are going to be to get since Craftsman doesn't have a great reputation for stocking parts for older power tools (and don't make their own tools).

I looks, at least, as if the machine was well cared for. Hopefully, others can give you more tips.

Daniel

could you turn pens on it? Yes. the remaining question is how much work will you have to go through to get a pen turned on it.
does it have a tail stock, head stock morse Taper (probably #2)
or woudl you have to ahve some sort of adaptor to mount a mandrel. (in this case a chuck of some sort is a great choice for future flexability)
do the head and tail stock align.(a commonly fixed situation)
how do the speeds change or do they? mainly a matter of convenience but if it there is no variability in the speed there would be a problem.
such questions as above require that you go look at the lathe yourself if the owner is not knowledgable enough to answer them.
sorry just no real easy answer from a picture.

alamocdc

Older Craftsman brand tools of this nature were actually quite good and pretty much used the standard sizes for the day (still used). If you know the model number, you might be able to do a Google search and pull up the specs on it. That would answer most, if not all, of the questions posed above. I, for one, would not be too afraid of this lathe if the price was right.

lkorn

I dont see a motor attached to this lathe. It probably mounts on the shelf below and drives a belt through the headstock. IF and only if there are #2 Morse Tapers in the head and tailstock, AND if they align, I would pay $50.00 to $75.00 for it. Depending on the condition. Bearings, rust etc.

cozee

Thanks all! I was thinking something in the $75 dollar range but I was late getting home and the auction ended at $41.00. There'll be another one I have no doubt!!

woodbutcher

Woodcraft now sells a Ricon lathe for $249.00. It has a 1/2 HP motor with a 12" swing over the bed. Used one today. In my opinion this is the best mini on the market today. If you get a chance check one out.
Good luck,
Jim

Chuck Key

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />Woodcraft now sells a Ricon lathe for $249.00. It has a 1/2 HP motor with a 12" swing over the bed. Used one today. In my opinion this is the best mini on the market today. If you get a chance check one out.
Good luck,
Jim

I do not see the ?Rikon? lathe or their web site nor did I notice it at the WC in Richmond, VA yesterday. Do you have any more information on it? Electonic variable speed or belt? Tell us more about it.

Thanks.
Chuckie

its_virgil

If you can obtain a model number you may be able to find out about the lathe at this website: http://www.owwm.com I have had good luck finding stuff there and fun just looking and reading about older woodworking macnines.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom