Old antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

louisbry

This rack came from a Mule deer I tagged in Texas about 44 years ago when I was in college. I am wondering if antler this old is still stable for turning pens. If so I could turn quite a few from this rack.

2007102935943_PA283725a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I haven't turned a huge amount of antler, but I've done a few. I won some antler here on the forum that was harvested in 1971. I've turned it and I've turned antler that was harvested less then a year earlier. The older antler was hard like no other. The older antler is hard, hard, hard. The younger antler turns and drills like butter compared to the older. I think what you have will turn just fine, but to make sure send me half and I'll tell you if it's worth it.[:)] Seriously, I think it will be fine just harder. And things that are harder will tend to crack easier so be carefull and doesn't force things. IMHO.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would boil it for about 20 to 30 minutes and straighten what needs to be straightened for more available antler length. I made a duck call and two pens from a very old antler last month for a friend back in the States. It had cracks all over it but after boiling and straightening it turned well. The friend said it was from when he was a teenager - back in the early 60's.

saltwein

You might want to check ebay and see what a nice symmetrical rack like this is selling for, unless you just want to use this one for sentimetal reasons. It might behoove you to sell this and buy some smaller pieces, you could end up on the plus side.

Regards, Steve

Hosspen

I've heard it said "the older the ram-the harder the horn". I don't know if this applies to bucks and/or to aging after death?
If it doesn't look really dried out & cracked it would probably turn just fine. I'm guessing it may be a bit porous, but that's why they make CA glue. I must admit though I've turned many white-tail antler pens, I haven't had the chance to try mule deer yet.
let us know how it TURNS out.

Kemosabe62

Last year I had a lady bring me some old antlers that had an algae type growth on it. I told her yea but it probably won't look good. She said she had rather it be made form this set as it was a buck that her father had harvested.

Turned out to be the best lookin antler I'd ever seen. When turned out, it had a green and purple marble swirl through out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom