Oklahoma City Supplies ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kinggabby

Seeing how I am on a real tight budget for the moment. Does anyone in this area know where I can get either scrap wood or wood real cheap. For the Moment woodcraft is too expensive and I can't afford to order from anyone yet. I know I still am not ready to start turning but I am getting closer. Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

if you can send me the shipping via paypal for a small-medium-or large flat rate box I'll fill it up with some blanks I have laying around. It'll be a good mix of domestic hardwoods, exotic hardwoods and some of my PR blanks. I'll never get around to turning all of it so let me know if you're able to. Feel free to PM me or reply here and I'll check back on it.

monophoto

Three thoughts:

1. A few weeks ago we visited a company in Vermont that started out making cutting board, wine racks and other kitchen items, but their showroom now offers a full line kitchen ware, cook books, and specialty foods. But their 'core skills' remain with wood, and operate a full shop out behind the showroom where they make the stuff (mostly hard maple, but some walnut). They had a rack next to the door of scraps that they were selling as 'kindling' - but the clerk told me that she wouldn't report me to the wood police if I bought some for turning. It was cheap - $6 for a box, select it yourself. Are there any businesses like that in OKC?

2. Flooring is also a nice material for turning. You might find free oak scraps at construction sites - and perhaps even some more exotic materials.

3. Norm Abrams of the New Yankee Workshop did a program a number of years ago in which he recycled hardwood pallets to make furniture. Not all pallets are hardwood, and you have to get past the initial appearance. You also need to carefully inspect the wood for nails and other fasteners. I've got an old pallet in my shop just waiting for the right project to come along - - -

jskeen

Flooring places that do their own installation almost always have a "Do Not Inventory" room full of the bits and bobs left over from custom installs. Most of it it pretty bland, but there is some good stuff, and a little carefull cutting will let you get just about anything short of a full sized gent out of a standard floor board, you just want to make sure you center the thickest part of the board, and cut through the grooves in the bottom that are there to let a little air circulate and minimize warping.

kinggabby

Thank you to the two guys who PM'd me as I said in my reply I would gladly give yall money when I have some. Thanks again

Top Bottom