Ok so what's the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

Now that the next trivia question is closed and answered, I can ask a newbie question:

What's the difference between a ballpoint and rollerball?[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Another newbie answer; the difference is about $1 [}:)]
Isn't a rollerball just a bit bigger in the ball department, and gives a 'smoother' line?

I dunno, just some stupid newbie guesses[:D]

bjackman

The ink.
Rollerballs use liquid type ink, much closer related to that used for fountain pens. This allows closer tolerances with the ball and it's housing which gives a smoother feel.
Ballpoint's ink has really evolved over the years to get where it is today. And while it gives you a nice consistent line, it is normally quite thick almost tar like.
There really is one more type to consider and that's an "ink-ball" This is similar to a permanent rollerball type tip with the ability to use standard ink cartridges or sometimes bottled ink and converters.

Tea Clipper

The ink. A ballpoint pen uses an oil based ink that is thick and lays on the surface of the paper. The ink in a rollerball is water based and is absorbed by the paper. This absorbtion means: faster wrting speed and quicker ink drying. Also more colors ('brighter', 'deeper', etc.) can be obtained by water based ink. However, the ink will dry if the pen is uncapped for too long, whereas the oil based ink of the ballpoint will not.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "thickness" of the ink becomes especially important when the customer is left-handed. Their hand runs through the "just-laid-down" ink line as they write. MANY rollerballs and gel refills will smudge as they write.

USUALLY ballpoints won't.

(Pen-selling 101, lesson 15 or so, EB)

JDPens

In all seriousness, I have noticed, like bjackman, that rollerball ink lays down much more smoothly because of its liquid leanings. However, it can also have the tendency to blob if you hold it to the paper too long.
The ballpoint is my pen of choice, in part because I'm a lefty. I hate smeared ink [:(!] !
All things considered, I think the rollerball is a nicer pen but the ballpoint is more utilitarian.

The Baron is a great pen by the way! [:p]

Mr. Ed, I'll have to try that, thanks.

bjackman

The Baron (and just about any other) kit that is built for a rollerball can be modified to use any parker style refill, gel, regular, or whatever, using trimmed down caps from two rollerball refills.
I put a photo of what it took to do it in my album.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by JDPens
<br />In all seriousness, I have noticed, like bjackman, that rollerball ink lays down much more smoothly because of its liquid leanings. However, it can also have the tendency to blob if you hold it to the paper too long.
The ballpoint is my pen of choice, in part because I'm a lefty. I hate smeared ink [:(!] !
All things considered, I think the rollerball is a nicer pen but the ballpoint is more utilitarian.

The Baron is a great pen by the way! [:p]

Mr. Ed, I'll have to try that, thanks.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JDPens
<br />Mr. Ed, I'll have to try that, thanks.

200711312245_Mr%20Ed.jpg
<br />

Oh, Willl-burrrrr...you're welcome.

ilikewood

This really is GREAT guys and gals!! The whole reason for the trivia contest is to have fun and to LEARN!! Putting the questions up to the group after the fact helps answer those questions really well and will help explain the answers to those who could use some redefining (and maybe find I was wrong too [:I]). So far so good though.[:D]

BTW- Love that Mr. Ed picture Lou!!

JimGo

Jim, I'm a lefty too, and I write in the "classic" left-handed style of pushing the pen across the page (as opposed to those who curl their hand around into an unnatural position to more closely mimic the way a right-handed person writes), so my hand goes across the ink I've left. I use both fountain pens and rollerballs almost exclusively, and don't have any problems with smearing. I typically use Mont Blanc refills for the RB's, and the ink cartridges that come with the FP's (I have both a kit from CSUSA and a Lamy FP). Don't be afraid to try either one!!! And the pens you make using these refills/writing end thingies tend to be fancier and more eye-catching, which has a tendency to lead to more sales.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

Thanks!!! That picture was in my youth and taken from the front. Most of the pictures I get now look like the other end!!!!

WISE Ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom