OK, so what happened here? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 68

As Edgar has mentioned there are many ways of sanding the blank ends. Most people will do it on the lathe. Most likely you have a face plate. I use doublesided carpet tape or turners tape to adhere a piece of metal to the plate. I use to use acrylic but found that wears a hole in the center. Attach some stickback sandpaper. Use a drill chuck in the tailstock to hold a transfer punch the proper size of the tube and slide the blank over it and press against the sand paper. You really should get yourself a set of transfer punches from HF. They are cheap when on sale or coupon offered. But they are invaluable for many things we do.

The other way and it works too. Being you have a barrel trimmer, you can reverse the trimmer end and now you have a flat which you can attach some sticky back sandpaper. Many people use a hole punch to punch a hole in the sandpaper to slip over the bit. It has worked for many years and a few tools have been developed on that basic principle.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
You can also fill the crack with something and adding thin ca. When I have cracks in bowls I use coffee grounds, rubbing them into the crack, then putting a small amount of thin CA.
Alternatively, sometimes you get better "camouflage" by putting a drop of thin or medium CA on it and sanding with ~220 grit so the sanding dust gets caught and glued in the crack.

(Keep the sandpaper moving so it doesn't get glued to the barrel.)
I use a variation of this...I take some of the shavings, mix with ca glue..apply ca glue to and in the crack then put the shaving on. Let it sit for awhile and sand smooth. It has sometimes made the crack completely invisible.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockandCole View Post
This beautiful burly piece of olive wood had me drooling all through the turning, and looked great throughout sanding, and then when I stop my lathe from buffing it, this was staring at me. What did I do? (Seriously, I'd like to avoid this in the future if possible, it was such a beautiful piece)

I did that 2 months ago on a great piece of black ebony. I can only think I got it hot when I was doing a final buff?
Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
1bigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads