Ok...next paycheck...What to purchase (spend my money!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Ok, so I've got the Jet 1220 lathe, the pen mandrel, and a couple pen kits. Some generous individuals have sent me some very nice pen blanks. I'll also be getting my carbide inserts from Bitshird soon hopefully, so I can start making those tools as well.

I'm going to pick up the HSS tool set from Harbor Freight this paycheck ($45).

What else should I focus on buying for this go round? I'm thinking barrel trimmer from yourdonspens($15).

I'm not sure where else I should I should get this round. I figure I'll spend an additional 40 to 50 bucks this paycheck. Plus I have a $10 coupon at woodcraft, so figure 60 total if I shop at Woodcraft.

I'm thinking 60 degree live center for 19.99 at Woodcraft. Not sure what else. Or maybe just some Navigator Kits?

Still need to buy:

Slow Speed sharpener-Woodcraft ($99.99)
Wolverine sharpening jigs or PSI clone ($124.99)
Lathe chuck -Grizzly H6265 + 1" pin jaws ($119.95)
Keyless 5/8 Drill chuck for Tailstock-Penturners Products ($39.00)
Dead Center-Penturners Products ($13.50)
Drill Bits ($$$)
CA glues-Mannie ($$)

I'm sure I'm missing some other things, I just can't think right this morning. Still recovering from the 3 day weekend! Once I have these things I'll be able to drill on the lathe and turn between centers.

I've got a power miter saw and a old fashioned back saw/miter box that I can use for trimming blanks for now.

Ok..so spend my money for me. Remember we're talking a max of probably $50 this paycheck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm thinking 60 degree live center for 19.99 at Woodcraft.
Dead Center-Penturners Products ($13.50)

Check with some of the vendors here. That's a good price for a dead center
and I don't think the Woodcraft live center is hardened. Your mandrel
will carve rings in it in no time.

Several vendors here carry these products at good prices for IAP members.
JohnnyCNC and Landfill Lumber come to mind right away..

What edit? I didnt' edit.. :redface:

Last edited:

jleiwig

Check with some of the vendors here. That might be high for a dead center
and I don't think the Woodcraft live center is hardened. Your mandrel
will carve rings in it in no time.

Several vendors here carry these products at good prices for IAP members.
JohnnyCNC and Landfill Lumber come to mind right away..

Penturners Products is JohnnyCNC :wink:

Rifleman1776

Echoing last post. Do make sure whatever live center you purchase is hardened steel. Check machine tool suppliers, those are hardened while wood centers usually are not. For me, I just go to the machinist side of the Grizzly catalog, or store if I'm there, for mine. Prices are a bit higher but a much better investment.

bradbn4

Number one is eye protection - even a cheap pair of harbor freight glasses should be very useful.

Some sort of method to sharpen the tools should be bought around the same time as the tools. Maybe a wet stone of some sort until the budget allows you buy the slow speed grinder.

Pen mill to square the tubes up.
With the chuck, the lathe can be used as a drill press.

Finishing material.
- you could use super glue on wood but for many that can be tricky to master.
- colored micro mesh for plastic pens

Few chunks of wood just to get the feel of turning wood.

Kit requirements:
1 - 2 drill bits
bushings
shaft for pen mill

Daniel

First since you are going to buy the tools. make sure you have a way to sharpen them. as others have mentioned this could be something as low cost as a sharpening stone. since you already know you want a better system try to make it something that you can use for other things in the shop later. I like the little diamond hone set from HF. I find all sorts of things to use those for and they work really well for sharpening the pen mill cutter heads later on.

Next would be at least the drill bits you need for the kits you have. if you want to tackle most of the drill bit issue in one shot. look at the 115 pc. set from HF. if you use a drill bit size chart you will find that set covers most of the bit sizes including an alternative to a 7mm bit.

next would be the ability to mill the blank. there are actually several ways to accomplish this depending on what you already have in your shop. Many members never use a pen mill at all so you might want to browse the options on that one.

The live center would be next on my list. basically I am just going through the process of turning a pen in my head and thinking of the next thing I would need to get it done.

It might take a while to complete the first pen that way but you will also not get distracted from the goal of getting the equipment needed to complete a pen.

all sorts of really fancy woods are nice unless you are looking at a pile of beautiful wood that you can't do anything with. Expensive sharpening systems are very much worth it but I would not wait a month trying to get my nickles and pennies together when a $10 set of diamond hones will get the job done fairly well.

just as a comparison. I pretty much had a complete shop when I started turning pens. and I gave myself a $2000 allowance to get set up and started. I don't even remember what I spent it all on but I do know when I was done I did not have a good sharpening system. wish I had had this group back then.

stolicky

You need a way to sharpen your tools, or this vortex you are quickly being drawn towards will become frustrating and dangerous. Even if you use a small diamond file/sharpener to start with to get you by, it will be worth it. I actually turned many pens at the beginning using only my roughing gouge and 1/2" skew, only sharpening with a diamond file - both round and flat.

cnirenberg

I agree with Chris on the sharpening system. Do you have a woodturning/woodworking club near you? The only reason I ask is this, apart from this forum, which is by far the best I have been a part of, you need a little "touchy-feely". I got the wolverine system since it was what the club I was a part of had. I got to use it a few times before I bought my own, but in the meantime learned how to sharpen the "Old Fashioned" Way. There are so many different systems out there, but you really need to learn the how's and why's of sharpening and then figure out which system works best for you. If I had any advice that was worth anything I would say invest wisely not for the reason you have the extera cash. I'm weird like that.

jleiwig

I've had experience turning stuff in the past, but not in the past 10 years or so, so I'm not to worried about the experience part, it's like riding a bike right? I think I still have the bat I made somewhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'll look into the diamond file at HF, because I don't think the arkansas whetstone I have is big enough to get any sort of use out of it for sharpening.

jkeithrussell

I just got a set of these and I can't say enough about how handy they are. I knocked out all of the parts and pieces from my "oops" pile of pens (sadly, a large pile) and reclaimed about $100 worth of pen kits. I could have saved myself a whole lot of cursing if I had purchased these sooner. Very useful, and cheap.

The answer to the question in the main post is this: you will never have all of the tools or equipment that you need. Just make a long and thorough list of everything that you want, prioritize it as you see fit, and buy what you can when you have money. It never ends.

workinforwood

Don't buy the $20 live center at woodcraft. They sell the one-way live center for around $40-50. It has a solid 60 tip built for mandrels and also comes with 5-6 other tips that are interchangeable without even removing the taper. You can use this for way more than pens. Then I recommend tossing the mandrel and buying Johnny bushings.

woodboys

I agree with the sharpening stuff in the fact that some burls are so hard they need sharp tools. But the way to sharpen then is where alot of us differ. At least a nice grinder is needed in my opinion. I made a wolverine clone and It made a world of difference in my opinion. Several woodworking magazines have plans or you can do a search here for some. I can show you mine even. Total cost for my jig. $0, just a piece of scrap plywood and a carriage bolt and wing nut and a few drywall screws.

Definately need to get CA glue for a finish and woodenwonders is the best place for that.Great price and fast service as well as good glue.

With this you want the micro mesh to sand a nice finish on. Also some white car polish to finish it up.

You also will want a pen mill to square the ends up or your pens will never look great, as they will be out of round.

Lets see considering hopefully you have a grinder.
0 for sharpening jig
$20 at least for CA and Activator plus free shipping from Mannie
$11 for micro mesh
$3 for turtle wax polish at Walmart
$15 for pen mill

Well I guess you'll have to get pen kits later but wih this and a mandrel and live center and you can make some nice pens. Just remember practice makes perfect. I've been practising for a long time and I'm still waiting on good so I can get perfect.

jleiwig

Don't buy the $20 live center at woodcraft. They sell the one-way live center for around $40-50. It has a solid 60 tip built for mandrels and also comes with 5-6 other tips that are interchangeable without even removing the taper. You can use this for way more than pens. Then I recommend tossing the mandrel and buying Johnny bushings.

that's the plan eventually, but I can still use the mandrel for duck calls and such, so that's why I bought it.

watchman7

You're making much better investments then I did. Make sure you ditch that mandrel and get turning between centers.

When you go to buy your drill bits do yourself a favor and buy a complete set. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted buying a million different $8 bits in sizes like "10.5." The set I have no was cheap and has sizes that often fit even better then the odd sizes.

Buy glue from Mannie, many other suppliers are way overpriced.

Good luck!

StatProf

Slow Speed Sharpener

Wait for this sucker to go on sale. I got mine for $70 just a few months back. This thing goes on sale all of the time. Also, you can save your once a year 25% off coupon from Rockler for the Wolverine.

Kyle

jttheclockman

John, What am I missing? What are these used for? I don't believe I have ever seen them......

As it has been mentioned already by a few members that heard of people making mistakes and need to take apart pens, these are worth their weight in gold. Not that you will ever make a mistake and put a pen together wrong or have a blank get messed up on you after you have it already assembled or if a pen needs another fresh coat of finish because they left it in the sun or some other thing, but just in case. I happened to buy a few of these sets because I also use them to make pin chucks for closed end pens. Are they high on the list, not until you first need them and do not have them. They are very inexpensive.

Randy_

.....Keyless 5/8 Drill chuck for Tailstock-Penturners

There is some difference of opinion on this tool.

Some folks have found the keyless chucks to give a less than totally secure grip of drill bits.....especially larger ones. Others like them just fine.

I use a chuck with key and do not find it to be disadvantageous relative to a keyless chuck.

jleiwig

There is some difference of opinion on this tool.

Some folks have found the keyless chucks to give a less than totally secure grip of drill bits.....especially larger ones. Others like them just fine.

I use a chuck with key and do not find it to be disadvantageous relative to a keyless chuck.

I believe that Johnny is out of stock on the keyed in the 5/8" size, that's why I posted keyless. It does not make a difference to me. Both work well from past experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

bradbn4

I have bought more than a few items that Johnny CNC has offered - all of them worked and the price was fair.

Yes you can sharpen your tools with a wet stone, home made jig can be real cheap if you have an old motor that can be pressed into work.

One item that is sort of free I would recommend you download the free how to videos that can be found on this website.

Fred

GET A DANGED GREAT DUST COLLECTTION SYSTEM NOW! Then expand your healthy environment and get other tools, chucks (4 jawed), table saw, drill press, bright lighting so you can see the scratches and stuff, sealed full face dust shield, tools, and other thingies that you even think you will ever need.

In real time I do seriously suggest an excellent dust collection system ASAP. Since you shop at your convenient Woodcraft take advantage of their birthday discount available to you one time during your month of birth. IF this has recently past, find a friend who has one in June and take them to Woodcraft, sign them up for their catalog mailing out and THEN let them make the purchase for you (as you slip them the cash below counter top level.) Ya know there is often several ways to skin a cat!

jleiwig

GET A DANGED GREAT DUST COLLECTTION SYSTEM NOW! Then expand your healthy environment and get other tools, chucks (4 jawed), table saw, drill press, bright lighting so you can see the scratches and stuff, sealed full face dust shield, tools, and other thingies that you even think you will ever need.

In real time I do seriously suggest an excellent dust collection system ASAP. Since you shop at your convenient Woodcraft take advantage of their birthday discount available to you one time during your month of birth. IF this has recently past, find a friend who has one in June and take them to Woodcraft, sign them up for their catalog mailing out and THEN let them make the purchase for you (as you slip them the cash below counter top level.) Ya know there is often several ways to skin a cat!

It's on the list, trust me.

Top Bottom