OK...another Secret Compartment Keyring Mystery...o-ring placement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

Where does that little O-ring go??? No mention of it in any instructions I can find online. It must be either inside the cap, or around the upper kit part before it gets pressed into the tube. It's not a snug fit, and easily falls out of the cap, so I'm leaning towards the upper kit part. What say you keyring experts. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Where does that little O-ring go??? No mention of it in any instructions I can find online. It must be either inside the cap, or around the upper kit part before it gets pressed into the tube. It's not a snug fit, and easily falls out of the cap, so I'm leaning towards the upper kit part. What say you keyring experts. Thanks.

I put it above the threads on the outside of the cap. That way you get a seal to keep moisture out of the compartment.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Over threads

It goes over the threads on the clip end to seal when the clip is screwed on. Not shown on those instructions but is shown on the whistle/secret compartment key ring instructions at Rizheng

ToddMR

What I find funny about the O ring for those is that they tend to only come with the chrome kits, and sometimes even those don't have them. I have never seen them with the gold kits. I have only done one of the newer satin chromes so I don't recall if it came with one or not.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
First time for everything.

What I find funny about the O ring for those is that they tend to only come with the chrome kits, and sometimes even those don't have them. I have never seen them with the gold kits. I have only done one of the newer satin chromes so I don't recall if it came with one or not.

Well Tim's kits are gold.

ToddMR

Well Tim's kits are gold.

Funny must be the PSI ones or something. Very weird indeed. Not that it really makes or breaks the sale imo. :biggrin:

Timbo

At my last show, a potential customer came up to me with only the cap portion of the kit in hand. She said she somehow lost the rest of it, and could I make her another one. Of course I said yes even thought I never made one before. That's what prompted me to order the kits from Smitty. After putting one together, I can see that as well as making the secret compartment air tight, the o-ring provides some friction that keeps the cap from loosening on its own. The previous unit my customer had probably didn't have the o-ring installed.

Oh yeah...the one I made was turned down to 12.6mm...it came out perfect.

Top Bottom