Oily wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I received a box of blanks and was going to turn some of the wood. Some blanks are marked and some aren't, the particular blank I'm asking the question about isn't marked. I was drilling the blank and noticed it was very oily, it even spitted some oil out during the drilling process. What effect would this have on glueing the tubes/finishing with CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks native, would that work the same for the finish? Or is there a need in applying a finish with such an oily pen?

If I apply a CA finish won't it "cloud" up eventually? I really like the wood, the color contrast and grain are phenominal, but don't want to have my efforts wasted for lack of research.

jedgerton

I use a CA finish on my olive wood pens without any issue. I do wipe the wood with CA accelerator before application of CA. I believe acetone is the solvent the accelerator is in so that may be the trick.

John

Jgrden

I rub an oily pen blank down with alcohol just before applying the first coat of blo/ca. This helps even the not-so-oily blanks.

PenMan1

CA accelerator works better on oily woods such as cocobolo, olive wood, purpleheart, etc, than anything else I have used. IMHO, DNA and Acetone should be avoided because they are loaded with water.

If you don't have CA accelerator, 90% isopropyl alcohol would be the next best solution as it is only 10 percent water.

Additionally, I always omit BLO in the CA finish with oily woods. Using BLO on these woods almost guarantees ghosts in my finish.

Respectfully submitted.

ldb2000

Actually isopropyl alcohol has more water in it then DNA . The problem with any alcohol is that it is hygroscopic (it absorbs water , even from the air) which is why you use it in your gas tank (dry gas) , it absorbs the water in your tank and allows the engine to burn it .
CA accelerator is the best thing to use but it is expensive . CA accelerator is made of Acetone and other chemicals . Acetone works as both an accelerator or a solvent depending on how it's used . From a cost point of view , Acetone is the best chemical to use to clean oily woods before doing a CA finish , but be sure to let it evaporate fully before applying your CA finish .

Jgrden

Nope, nope, nope, alcohol for me. Drink the Daniels and apply the Isopropyl. Everything else is too expensive.

Top Bottom