OH NO.... my emperor is falling apart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Any tricks in dissembling an emperor?:(
Not a good way to start a post.

Looks like I need to sand, stabilize and refinish this puppy.

First the small “dull wet spots†on the emperor I did the other day are growing…

But now I see small cracks going around the pen. A couple on the top and two or three on the bottom. They look like I took a razor and cut straight across. One is just about ¾ way around the pen. Is Amboyna Burl a “cracking†wood ?

I can knock the cap/clip and the end cap off ok, but im a bit leary of trying to get the plastic center band coupler out. And not sure about the nib coupler.

I have an extra set of tubes so if worst comes to worst I can cut off the tube to get to the fittings. Do you think I can tape the fittings and refinish that way.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions......

First things first…where’s my bottle of Capt Morgan.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Get the transfer punch set from HF. I used mine to disassemble a full sized Gent and they use the same size tubes. As long as the punch you use JUST fits inside the tube you should be okay. I was worried about this too, but it worked and didn't hurt the plastic at all.

PatLawson

Originally posted by pete00
<br />...now I see small cracks going around the pen...Is Amboyna Burl a “cracking†wood ?&lt;

In my experience it is.
I've had Amboyna burl crack several times, (stabilized too!), but I've not heard many others say so. Mine that have cracked have been on thin-wood style pens. Maybe it does better when turned thicker. The two burls that have cracked several times for me are Paela burl and Amboyna - unfortunately two of the prettiest! I'm really gun-shy of using either of these burls on a thin-barreled pen.

Pat

pete00

thanks all for the comments and suggestions

i have a small set of punches from hf ive been using, ill see if any fit, if not a dowel looks like next project.

thanks ...pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom