Oh CRAP!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

In my continuing quest to separate Nebraska fans from their money, I bought a small vial of water soluable red dye at Woodcraft yesterday. I mixed up about 1/4 of it in a 1/2 liter bottle to try out on three blanks, a hard maple, a boxwood, and a big leaf maple burl, all turned to size (cigar pens). Well, next time I'll make sure that the cap is actually attached to the bottle before I pick it up.

1/2 a liter of bright red dye goes a LONG LONG way when spreading by gravity and spatter on the bench, the floor, me, the windows....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdavis

How is the clean up coming? I know all about spills. You should see the stain room floor here in the school shop. Has alot of character on the floor. Last spill was a quart of Minwax dark walnut oil stain. Are you still wearing the red on your hands?

Fleabit

WE WANT PICS....WE WANT PICS.....Especially since that is something I would do and I want proof that I am not the only Murphy toting brother out there!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
YUP WE WANT PICTURES... LOL
You think water based dye is nasty... try picking up a bottle of Chestnut Analine Dye in bright blue without a cap... spilled it all ove the front of my tshirt and hands last Christmat doing ornaments... took forever to get it out of my skin... LOL... SWHTM was calling me Blue Boy for a while...

Queso

The water based stuff cleaned up pretty well, actually. After I showered this morning it was all but gone from my hands and arms. The shirt is probably a total loss. I used a piece of old carpet as a mat, so I threw it away and got a different one to stand one. The lathe wiped off without a problem, The only lasting stain will be on the bench and the piece of wood that I cut grooves into to hold blanks.

I was able to dye three pair of blanks. I turned them to size and submersed them in the dye for about 20 minutes and hung them up to dry. I'm going to give them a couple full days to dry and I'll post the final results later.

JimGo

Hey Queso, where are the pics of the pen and shop?

I need to be able to SHOW my wife that I'm not the only one who does these kinds of things!

Thumbs

Red shop,.....Pretty! Man, lucky it was not aniline. Ugh!

----------------------------
Wish, I'm not biting, today!
----------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom