Oh, Canada - Part II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Richard Kleinhenz's "Oh, Canada" pen making article from the Spring 2006 issue of the American Woodturner magazine has just been uploaded to the AAW's website as an example of the great reads you get when becoming a member of the AAW.

Here's a link to the AAW site where you'll find another link to Richard's article (about 2/3's of the way down the page):

http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw

Hope you have a high-speed internet connection, as the file is kinda large.

Best regards,
Ed D.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I joined AAW about two weeks ago and received my first copy of American Woodturner just yesterday. That was the first article I read [:)]

Skye

Does it bother anyone else that the only really remarkable part of the pen was done by a machine that wasn’t even in-house? Maybe it's just me.

wudwrkr

It doesn't bother me one bit. We use machines to craft the pens we make now. I guess we could use a draw knife and get rid of the machines entirely, but it wouldn't be the same. [:)] It is not a simple thing to create one of these blanks even though it is done with a piece of high tech equipment. How different is it when we turn a pen out of a nice acrylic or burl? IMHO, utilizing what ever tools are available, even if it is a $10,000+ laser, is just part of the creative process. The pen still must be assembled, turned, and finished no mater what material is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom