office supply stores rollerball refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

massmans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Yes they work. I bought the Staples brand but found they have a small ridge near the shoulder at the tip and they didn't work.

But think about this.... Instead of telling "customers" they can buy refills at local office supply stores, why not keep "customers" by telling them they can come to you for all their pen needs?

All pen shops not only sell pens, they also carry refills, ink, fine papers and accessories. I include a business card with each pen and tell my customers to call me for ANY of their pen related needs not Office Max!

toolcrazy

Originally posted by massmans

Good idea, wish I had thought of that.

So who has the best refills and prices on quality refills that I would carry.

Talk to Lou (DCBluesman) He has a listing in Most valued vender section. He sells the top of the line Schmidt refills. At a very
reasonable price.

BTW - If you must refer your customers to office store, tell them to get the Pilot G2 refills. But, your always best to sell them your own.

sbell111

While we often have a couple of refills on hand, I prefer to refer people to the stores. First, this helps them understand that they can easily acquire refills which serves to take away one of their reasons not to buy. This is especially true if the pen is to be a gift. Second, I prefer not to have to stock these refills and make myself available for a few dollar purchase. Selling refills is not our core competency. Office Depot is welcome to that role.

Jarheaded

I will usually give a free refill to a customer if they are nice about asking where they can get them. I also tell them that they are available at most stationary stores, or they can get them from me.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by sbell111

... Selling refills is not our core competency. Office Depot is welcome to that role.
core competency... Wow, I haven't heard that term since retiring from the corporate world. Yes they are welcome to the refill business and while the customers are there buying refills they can have a good look at the nice assortment of rollerball and fountain pens in their displays starting around $12.50. Repeat business probably isn't your core competency either huh? :)[:p]

sbell111

Originally posted by Texatdurango
Originally posted by sbell111
... Selling refills is not our core competency. Office Depot is welcome to that role.
core competency... Wow, I haven't heard that term since retiring from the corporate world. Yes they are welcome to the refill business and while the customers are there buying refills they can have a good look at the nice assortment of rollerball and fountain pens in their displays starting around $12.50. Repeat business probably isn't your core competency either huh? :)[:p]
I thought snarky wasn't acceptable in this forum. It's good to know that it is.

Either way, our return sales are just fine, thank you very much. I don't believe that these sales would be driven higher if we were selling two dollar refills. Nor do I believe that our customers are so stupid that they don't realize that pens could be also bought in stores. Instead, I believe that they buy pens from us because they find utility in the handmade product, not just the fact that it makes a mark when you drag it across paper.

warreng8170

For those of you who make a living (or even a semi-significant) income from selling pens, I can understand the desire to sell refills and keep people aware of your business but for those who do this for a hobby and sell mainly to cover expenses, I think this becomes more of an inconvenience, both the turner and the customer. If I knew nothing about hand-turned pens, it would definitely make me more likely to buy if I knew that refills were easily obtainable.

Nor do I believe that our customers are so stupid that they don't realize that pens could be also bought in stores. Instead, I believe that they buy pens from us because they find utility in the handmade product, not just the fact that it makes a mark when you drag it across paper.

Exactly. I doubt anyone is going to go into an office supply store looking for a refill only to discover a secret world of mass-produced writing instruments that they never knew existed.

-warren

Texatdurango

Relax, I was simply throwing out some suggestions. To each their own, I didn't mean to imply that we ought to all go out and hustle refill sales for that elusive 23 cent per refill profit. I see it as a convenience to the customer and a way of letting them know that I'm here for them after the sale not just the sale. I don't see having a few dollars tied up in refills a big deal.

Steve, by the way, what is your definition of snarky? This word has lots of definitions, some directly opposite the others.

But so you know, I was just having fun with you. I never expected to see the term core competency used amongst simple pen turners. Obviously your pen business is a lot larger than my one man operation!:)

Rudy Vey

All office supply stores carry rollerball refills, good ones like Pilot or Uniball, and their own "no-name" brands. The best refills, however, are still the Schmidt refills sold by Lou or pen stores, internet etc.
I believe it is a very nice gesture to give away a "free" refill with every pen sold - you just have to incorporate this free refill in your pricing....;):D

Top Bottom