Off Topic Except For Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I started turning this last evening and finished it off today It was first attempt at a square edged bowl. I got the sanding process down to as smooth as glass and I didn't want to use oil or anything else to change the color so I just used nothing but the TSW finish on it that many of are now using as a final finish on pens.
Thanks a bunch Lou for making the TSW finish available to us. I use it on almost all my lathe turnings.
W.Y.
82507405.jpg

82507321.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Great job as usual Bill!
Guys and Dolls I've known Bill for about 5&1/2 years from one of the Canadian woodworking forums.
All I thought he ever did was clocks!:)>)
I love that Dome Clock Bill!

William Young

Yep ... that's the one. That Australian turner shows a safer way to turn that bowl. It is a good 4 page article. Comparing his picture with mine they look quite similar even though he used maple and wenge and I used birch and walnut.
Of course on a first one like this I am able to see where the edges could have been thinner and the shaping could be improved on. But he is a professional and I am a rookie so I feel I came pretty close for the first one. I will definitely make more of those until I get it perfected.
W.Y.

Doghouse

Bill - Way to wing it...

Have you tried a square bowl yet? Just like the winged, just leave the wings at the top and hollow the entire middle. The shaping looks good. Two suggestions that might help: 1. Shine a light from behind / below you will see the ghost better. 2. Put a piece of contrasting paper on the bed rails. Makes the ghost stand out more. I love doing those, it is truely Zen turning.

woodscavenger

Square turnings are fun. My first few were without the additional block on the edges so sanding was an adventure. I still have all ten fingers however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom