Off center and indexing jigs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred in NC

In another post I mentioned the triangular shaped Omas pens. These pens are of a rounded triangular shape.

I am working on the design of a chuck that will allow both triangular and hexagonal section ROUNDED barrels. In other words, the facets will not be flat, but have a nice rounded shape.

I am also looking into indexing plates for small lathe like the Jet Mini.

Any comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Tip: An indexing plate is used to lock the spindle. Larger lathes sometimes have indexing devices built in, usually inside the headstock.

For a small lathe, an idexing plate can be added. It mounts either behind the chuck, or outboard where the handwheel is. I found that for minis the best place is behind the chuck, it is much sturdier and convenient that way. Think about a metal plate about 6" in diameter, with a hole in the middle, and holes around it. A locking arm with a pin keeps the spindle from turning.

Indexing plates are used to make flutes, such as for furniture legs. The flutes are usually made with a router.

The most useful indexing plate has 24 holes at 15 degrees. This allows 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 sided pieces.

For penmaking, an indexing plate allows routing of the barrel. You can make hexagonal pen barrels for example. You can also rout for inlays (limited of course, not like CNC or laser). Say you wanted to inlay a strip in 3 or 6 positions around the barrel. Note that for squares, you don't need an idexing plate, all you need is to lock the spindle.

I hope this is clear, if not, I can try to explain further, and maybe refer you to some web sites.

tipusnr

Thanks I saw something like this when I visited the Bealle workshop recently. I remember he said he didn't advertise them as there were customer service issues (I'm probably misquoting him). His also had a track and cradle for either a router or a dremel type cutter if I remember right. I believe it was quite expensive.

You've probably already known this but check out his catalog and site for ideas.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There is already a tool for milling pens. Check out the site http://www.legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=36 . I've seen the DVD and it looks interesting. A significant difference is that you put most of the effort into the design stage and do not actually "turn" the pen, but mill it with a router. [8D]

Fred in NC

Link to the Beall Lathe Wizard, $219:

http://www.bealltool.com/lathewiz.htm

This is what I call a vertical setup. The router bit points down.

For small work, I would prefer a horizontal setup. All it needs is a little table that replaces the tool rest, and a square collar for the Dremel.

Fred in NC

Lou: Yes, I have seen that also. Thanks for posting it!

Both the Legacy and the Beall can mill flats on a barrel.
Neither can mill a <b>rounded</b> section, like the Omas pen. For this you need an <b>off-center chuck</b>, which allows control of how much rounding you get on each section. The more you offset the piece, the flatter the section gets, but still retaining a rounded shape.

You can mill <b>flats</b>with an indexing plate and a homemade jig just as well as with a commercial setup.

Every one of these is a tool, and different tools serve different purposes.

With the Beall you have the advantage that the pen is already mounted in a lathe, so you can turn and mill with the same machine. The Legacy has a follower, which is not available in the Beall.

low_48

Fred,
I think you could do this on a Legacy Pen Mill. You would hold the top of the pen on a different center than the point and use a large roundover bit. Might try that someday, got my Legacy Pen Mill last week. No test results yet, but did get it assembled.

Rich

Scott

I think offset turning would be the ticket for a triangular shaped pen. With offset turning you could do all kinds of shapes. I think oe of our members, Kenn Osborne, has done some offset turning on pens - maybe he'll chime in!

I have wanted to get one of those Escoulen chucks. Someday! ;-)

As far as using a milling type of machine, as has been pointed out there are two nice ones on the market. I haven't seen the Beall with my own eyes, but I do know that J.R. Beall is an exacting person, and I have no doubt it works as advertised! I have seen the Legacy, and it is pretty impressive! I may even be getting one pretty soon. I was just talking to Tracy at Legacy yesterday, and he says they are developing all kinds of templates for the machine! This will be an interesting pen making tool!

I like Fred's idea of a horizontal mill attachement for the lathe. If you put something like this together, let me know!

Scott.

Fred in NC

Kirk: Not only triangular shape, but also with rounded sides and corners! and it can blend into a rounded cove to meet the metal parts....

However, my chances of working on some of my projects until the end of the year are very slim. I have been getting tools, materials, etc. that I won't be able to use for a while. I am retiring at the end of the year. The little shop time I have now will be used to make some 'plain banana' pens for a couple craft shows in the next few weeks.

I like to make a lot of my own tools and jigs, etc., first because I enjoy it, then I save money. Also, some are my own ideas or adaptations, and I cannot buy them.

When the time comes, I will be posting pics of my jigs, and finished pens. I promise !!!

jkirkb94

Fred, I'll be looking forward when you do. BTW Good luck on retiring. I still have about 15 years... one kid in college and another still 3 years away from it. I knew I should have started a family earlier![:(] Kirk [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom