oddball with rollerballs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

I guess I am just offering my opinion to others who are looking for ideas on what refills to get.

Maybe I am the only one but I see very little difference between the Private Reserve 888 and 5888?

My pen kits came with fine point 888's and if I didn't know any better, I would swear they are ever so slightly better than the fine point 5888's. I certainly regret buying a bunch of the fine 5888's. I did buy a few medium 5888, and I do like these as they seem to glide better than the fine points but I don't have a medium 888 to compare to it.

Then when it comes to ballpoints:

I bought Easy Flow 9000 refills and they are obviously loads better than the kit refill. I also bought one private reserve gel refill to try and it writes really nice too but what I like most is the fact that the gel ink is so much darker than the Easy Flow. I guess I kinda wished I would have gotten a bunch of gel refills instead although at least the Easy Flows are still a huge upgrade from stock.

Just my 2 cents.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

You know, I started buying the private reserve Med point 5888 from www.exoticblanks.com and noticed a HUGE difference in the way they write compared to the fine point refills. The fine tip refills felt like they were more scratchy when writing and I actually had some customers complain until i switched them to the medium.

With the ballpoints I use the gel refills from www.woodnwhimsies.com in blue and black. I'm a firm believer that the way a pen writes will either make or break a potential sale. And for the price per pack, you cant beat it! I think Ernie at www.beartoothwoods.com also sells them!

IPD_Mr

The 888 and the 5888 have the exact same tip. Come right off the same machine. The difference is the body of the refill. One is obviously metal and the other plastic. Rumor has it that the 5888 holds more ink, but Schmidt (the manufacturer of the PR refills) has never denied or confirmed this theory. There are some cases where a flexible refill such as the 888 is preferred. Just as there are some cases where a stiffer pen is needed. But for the most part it is more of a personal choice.

As for the Parker style refills you mention, the gel has a wetter ink and will take a little longer to dry than the EasyFlow. Not a real fond choice for southpaws. The gel is also a different kind of ink than the EasyFlow. Not an easy thing to really compare, other than personal preference.

Thanks for your post as people should be informed as to what they are buying and the differences.

glycerine

For the rollerball, you can also get MontBlanc refills and trim the plastic end down by about 1/8 of an inch. It will fit as-is in some pens, but compared directly to the 888 and 5888, it is slightly longer, so it's best to trim it... they write incredibly smooth. And you can never have a customer claim that his MontBlanc writes better!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
you shouldn't

I guess I am just offering my opinion to others who are looking for ideas on what refills to get.

Maybe I am the only one but I see very little difference between the Private Reserve 888 and 5888?

My pen kits came with fine point 888's and if I didn't know any better, I would swear they are ever so slightly better than the fine point 5888's. I certainly regret buying a bunch of the fine 5888's. I did buy a few medium 5888, and I do like these as they seem to glide better than the fine points but I don't have a medium 888 to compare to it.

Then when it comes to ballpoints:

I bought Easy Flow 9000 refills and they are obviously loads better than the kit refill. I also bought one private reserve gel refill to try and it writes really nice too but what I like most is the fact that the gel ink is so much darker than the Easy Flow. I guess I kinda wished I would have gotten a bunch of gel refills instead although at least the Easy Flows are still a huge upgrade from stock.

Just my 2 cents.

That's to be expected, they are the same refill as far as tip and ink are concerned the 888 is plastic body and the 5888 is a metal body.

Fine point's in my experience never write quite as smooth as medium when comparing with other things being the same. My personal preference was always fine point because I could write a little smaller and still be readable.

SCR0LL3R

I am glad to hear all you pros chime in! I guess I will be stuck with a bunch of fine point refills that I don't really need. I wish I would have know this before I ordered so I could have gotten more mediums instead just to have the variety. Since some fine point 888's will be coming out of the kits for mediums, I will probably have a bunch of those sitting around.

I will be using the Easy Flows at least and I am glad you pointed out the downside to the gels Mike as you kept me from buying a bunch of them with my next order. I will still get a few to have the option for those who like it. I know I do.

Now I will have to make another order in the near future for some more med points and a few more gel refills. My wallet is feeling the pain! :D

sbell111

I will be using the Easy Flows at least and I am glad you pointed out the downside to the gels Mike as you kept me from buying a bunch of them with my next order. I will still get a few to have the option for those who like it. I know I do.

Now I will have to make another order in the near future for some more med points and a few more gel refills. My wallet is feeling the pain! :D
I put one of those gels into every 'parker' pen that we make. I keep ballpoints on hand if someone doesn't like gels, but that is very rare. Generally, once they try out the pen with that smooth gel refill, they are sold on it.

toddlajoie

I keep ballpoints on hand if someone doesn't like gels, but that is very rare.

My wife is one of those rarities. I use it to keep her from taking pens I like. The plus side is I have someone who will use the drawer full of stock Parker refills that never saw the inside of a pen...

I also wanted to clarify, as I sort of missed it in the initial read, but I think more of your experience seems to be the difference between the fine point and the medium point, rather than the PR vs stock rollerballs (the metal vs. plastic comments covered that one...) I'll second with my opinion on all the fine points, that to me they always seem scratchy, but like everything else, it's probably personal choice and writing style. Someone with a lighter touch may like the fines better...

IPD_Mr

My wife is one of those rarities. I use it to keep her from taking pens I like.

Women usually are the exception to every rule.:eek: The Mrs likes fine and extra fine, I like a medium point, but we both love german chocolate cake and a cold glass of milk. :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pushin yer luck

My wife is one of those rarities. I use it to keep her from taking pens I like.

Women usually are the exception to every rule.:eek: The Mrs likes fine and extra fine, I like a medium point, but we both love german chocolate cake and a cold glass of milk. :biggrin:
Mike, you are really testing the boundries today...first the pm now this. You keep that up and I'm gonna call you what you are.....:biggrin::redface:

Top Bottom