Observations on my new Woodchuck Pen pro!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Yeah, I love mine! I can't figure out how I turned pens before without it. Best invest I made next to the lathe haha.

ToddMR

LOL on #3. Yeah, I sliced my thumb a few times brushing off shavings when I 1st used mine. It takes a little getting used to.

Hehe, I have thought about that too. I use a small narrow wire brush when it needs cleaned off.

KenV

Anyone tried shear scraping using this tool?

A little tricky with the square shaft, but dooable -- the cant angle causes the tool to perch on the square edge and it is tippy.

I figured I needed to file a small flat on the edges for stability (about 45 degrees), but use other options instead (John Jordan style shear scraper or the edge of a small bowl gouge).

PenMan1

John:
One other piece of advice with the Woodchuck. If you tend to turn in flip flops during summer months, be prepared to quickly jump straight back if you ever drop the Woodchuck.

It always falls sharp side first! I lost the entire front end of my favorite flops, and then had to go for an "underwear pit stop"!

Last edited:

hewunch

Not trying to take anything away from Ken, but I got my carbide tool from a local guy. He makes his from hex bar. Thus you can go straight at the work or diagonal like a skew. To me this is a HUGE improvement in design.

MartinPens

I've been wanting to pick one of these up, but the two places I visited online were out of them and I refuse to purchase the impostor from CSUSA. Where are these readily available and in stock? Thanks - and of course a good price doesn't hurt.

I haven't made any tool handles to date - I would be ok with making one - but also wondered if there were handled versions available

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

ToddMR

I've been wanting to pick one of these up, but the two places I visited online were out of them and I refuse to purchase the impostor from CSUSA. Where are these readily available and in stock? Thanks - and of course a good price doesn't hurt.

I haven't made any tool handles to date - I would be ok with making one - but also wondered if there were handled versions available

Martin

How about from Ken? I have had good turn around time both times I got tools from him. You can choose to get a handle or not get a handle. I always get one myself because it is one less thing I have to mess with when I get it.

IPD_Mr

Martin

We do carry Ken's WoodChuck as well as his inserts and have two left in stock.

IPD_Mr

John:
One other piece of advice with the Woodchuck. If you tend to turn in flip flops during summer months, be prepared to quickly jump straight back if you ever drop the Woodchuck.

It always falls sharp side first! I lost the entire front end of my favorite flops, and then had to go for an "underwear pit stop"!

And I thought I was the only nut that turned in flip flops. Don't mind wood, but acrylic and lucite chips between the toes are not fun.

PenMan1

Martin:
Ken also has his own website, also
The site is http://www.woodchuck-tools.com.
He sells handled models, cutters without handles, and in my case, customized the handle to my specifications.
Ken, like all of the IAP vendors that I have worked with, I a great vendor and understands what you are trying to do.

hdtran

Anyone tried shear scraping using this tool?

A little tricky with the square shaft, but dooable -- the cant angle causes the tool to perch on the square edge and it is tippy.

I figured I needed to file a small flat on the edges for stability (about 45 degrees), but use other options instead (John Jordan style shear scraper or the edge of a small bowl gouge).

So, I was thinking of filing/grinding/sanding (probably grinding or sanding, as I'm lazy) a small bevel on the edges of the square shaft, so that I could roll the tool to try shear scraping.

I do have some regular scrapers, so I could just use those. But the nice thing about the carbide is that you don't have to sharpen it. I found that when using the regular scraper as a shear scraper, I needed to rehone the edge/raise the burr pretty frequently. (Of course, that could also be lack of technique on my part).

bitshird

I really should put a foot note on the instructions about not wiping the dust off the tool by pulling it through you fingers, (unless you are wearing chain mail gloves).
I made a tool out of Hex stock for Keith Long, (Fatboy Pens) it used a small round insert, also if you check the web site there is a new beast running loose.
AND Mike was right, NEVER EVER try juggling a Pen Pro.

GColeman

Martin

Ken sent me a Woodchuck on a Friday. I had it on Tuesday. I got a handle also, but turning one would be no problem.

I haven't sliced my thumb yet, but my new work pants has a nice rip where I brushed the dust off. I do it with my gouge all the time. I won't with the Woodchuck again.

moke

I really should put a foot note on the instructions about not wiping the dust off the tool by pulling it through you fingers, (unless you are wearing chain mail gloves).
I made a tool out of Hex stock for Keith Long, (Fatboy Pens) it used a small round insert, also if you check the web site there is a new beast running loose.
I was lucky enough to get one of the first "new beasts". It is awesome as would be expected from Ken. He fitted it with a great handle. It works well for pens too, because of it's size, it is easy to be too aggressive with alternate materials. Beside that, I really like a bigger lathe tool, and this certainly fits that!!! I have both the original and the "beast", I like having two of the tools so I can have one with a scary sharp insert and one a little worn...mostly cause' I'm cheap, and I like to use the duller one to rough. I have also just recently started to turn bowls, and while I have had this since I started and have little to compare it to, I think it is awesome.

Ken is awesome to work with and is very accommidating. I know that no one will regret buying any of the line-up. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

MartinPens

bitshird said:
also if you check the web site there is a new beast running loose.

Are you referring to the longer handle larger tool labeled for "bowl turning?" I was looking at this. I emailed Ken and I'm trying to decide which one to land on. Will likely try the larger tool since I turn boxes, bowls... etc...

Thanks for the feedback.

Martin

Top Bottom