"O" tube and 7mm tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

Is there any size difference?

Can 7mm tube be used for "O" kits?

I have 10" pieces of 7mm tube on hand, but no "O" tube.

I don't have any "O" drill bit kits left, or I would just measure myself.

If some one could check the OD and ID of an "O" tube with their calipers, that would be super!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is a pet peeve!!!

Your tubes are not measured in drill bit sizes. What size is the TUBE? The components that you are using need to fit into the TUBE, not the HOLE. Measure the diameter of the component you want to press INTO the tube and you can then determine if a "7mm" tube (od=.268", id=prox .248") will work. The hole can be quite a bit larger if the vendor (who specked the hole size) feels there should be more room for adhesive.

Some of the vendor websites also refer to drill bit sizes as the tube size. But your components really don't care what size the HOLE is.

Thanks, I feel better now!!

Ed

After a little research, the "O" bit (.316) is closer to the 8mm (.315) than the 7mm(.2756)

Last edited:

NotURMailman

Ok, well the components that I ordered were CSUSA Americana pen parts. I don't have any more un-assembled left to measure the tubes.

The bulk tube I have have is what they call 7mm tube, for slimlines etc.

I am well aware that the kits are named by drill bit size and not tube size, I was just using the commonly accepted terminology.

I can easily measure the "7mm" tube, but have nothing to compare it to.

However, I suppose I should have looked up the actual OD of an "O" drill bit and I would have known that they most likely weren't going to be compatible.

I guess I'll be on a web search for whatever the tube size is for the kits that take an "O" bit.

I hope you feel better now ED :tongue:

EDIT: Never mind, I may have violated a rule! I'll handle that in a PM.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The O is generally used for 8mm tubes. generally speaking the od is .306 and the id is .292. yours may vary

its_virgil

The information is in the chart in the library: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/bushingsandtubes.pdf

The tube ID is not there but it should be real close to the smaller diameter of the bushings...the part that slides into the tube.

Craft Supply USA Apprentice Americana Twist BP 486-2005 2 'O' or 8mm 0.311 2.05 0.492 .492 /.401 0.286 'O' or 8mm 0.311 2.05 0.401 0.401 0.286f

Long 8mm tubes should be available from most suppliers. I have gotten them from PSI before.

I don't have the CSUSA version of the pen but the tubes for the Berea version measure .308 OD and .291 ID. These are very close to what Mike just reported. I'm sure his calipers are much better quality than mine.:biggrin: I would be very surprised if the Berea and CSUSA tubes were different. I have use the CSUSA bushings for the Berea version.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

longbeard

Wait, which one are we looking for? I thought it was for the Apprentice Americana.

Never mind, I have the Artisan not the Apprentice
Sorry again. lol

Top Bottom