Numbering system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

7miles

I'm looking to see if anyone out there has developed a #'ing system. That they tag there pens with. That would tell where they got the kit the plating, the finish and so on? I'm sure this as been talked about more then once, but I sure can't find it in the search. So if you have a link or a system the you would not mind sharing, that would be cool.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Well that would be easy enough to do really. All you need is the matching key. Assign a letter for supplier (A=AZ C=CSUSA P=PSI) Then the plating (24=24k RH=rho ect) Finish could be done as (CA=CA LA=lacquer FP=Friction polish) Now to up the ante, use a production number. I like to use the date with the last number used as the counter.

I lable a lot of photos this way and I can tell if a photo that is listed 1021071 just happens to be the first photo that I uploaded on todays date. With a full number date, you will never overwrite another.

You could have this ARHCA1021071 or P24FP1021072

Kind of long, but with that number you can tell at a glacnce where it came from, the finish, plating and right down to which pen of the day it was made on.

Now that said... I do not use this method myself, but have a great filing system! [;)]

Dale,
If you are just needing a numbering system for your pens, Lee's idea works well, but if you are looking for a data base, try this link

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24860&SearchTerms=demopenbox

7miles

Chuck
Wow, that looks like it would do everything I want and more. I think that would be the tracking program I'm looking for. Any body have it out there? How do you like?

dbriski

I would suggest if using a date number system, use year month day format. This will allow for easier sorting and stay in chrological order. If you use the Month day year format and have more than 1 years worth then all of each month for different years would sort together.

bradh

I keep a spread sheet of all my pen's. I assign a sequencial number to each pen and record the kit and wood info in the sheet. I also hyperlink a photo to the line. The hyperlink photo is great when you mix up pens and have to figure them out again later.

TBone

I'm using a method very similar to Brad's. Only difference is I insert the pics so they will show when you hover the mouse over the cell in the spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom