Now What

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I stopped in at a local saw mill where I trade pens for scraps from their trash pile. One thing that I picked up (free) is this burl, I think it is box elder but am not sure.

tn_burl%20outside.jpg

tn_burl%20inside.jpg

So what do I do now. It's about 2/3 the size of a basketball, too big to go through my band saw, I guess I'll chain saw it in half, but which direction do I cut from first. Is this stuff usable as is? Or should it be stabilized first?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Personally, I'd find it hard to put a chainsaw to it. I think I'd go through the trouble to hand cut it. Less waste. And all you can do, is take a stab at which direction to start.

Nice chunks of wood.

Gary Max

I would cut it just as it stands in the second pic---cutting as close to the bark as you can---That's going to be sap wood anyway and should not have much grain. Then go ahead and cut it into pen blanks---I would go about 1 inch sq.
Stack it into a pile with sticks so it can dry and let it set for a couple of months. Then you can decide if it is soft and needs to be stablized----most burls that are solid don't need any help.

Rifleman1776

Burls are unpredictable. If you want pen blanks and not a very unique bowl, or something, do take the chain saw to it. Or find a friend with a big bandsaw. It may be solid inside and may just fall apart into crumbles. Let us know what happens. Personally, I prefer burls stabilized.

The burls that I have harvested, cut and dried (maple, cherry,oak, black ash) are cut in half or smaller with a chain saw. I then cut them into blanks with the bandsaw.
I don't stabilize any of them and have had success using CA glue before, during and after turning. I drip glue into the drilled blank before gluing in the tubes.

Larry

Fred

Your profile does not state where you live, but I'm willing to bet that you are close to one of the IAP members that may have a large band saw and would cut it up for you in exchange for a few pen blanks.

If you don't find anyone, then by all means ASK and see who volunteers. I am in Georgia near Stone Mountain and I would be more than glad to help you as I have a good sized bandsaw and am sure we could get it done.

I'm in agreement with others here about using the chain saw ... way to much waste of a perfectly good burl.

If you don't get it cut, maybe consider putting it up for sale here in the classified section. :D

Chasper

I have access to a large band saw, I can cut it up without too much waste. This burl has been laying inside a showroom for a few years. A chainsaw artists carved a near life size buffalo and somebody thought it would be funny to put this burl on the floor behind the buffalo, as if it were a pile of buffalo chips. It layed there for a few years until the carver didn't think it was funny anymore so he gave it to me. It is very dry and light.

I'm really not sure what kind of tree it is from, it looks a little like box elder, but there really isn't much bark to see. Since it is old and dry, maybe it is going to fall apart. Its only wood, guess I'll rip into it and see what happens.

Top Bottom