Now I'm pissed...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

I just casted several blanks. One was a Sierra tube with gold/copper leaf. It looked awesome even before I started turning it. I got the thing turned all the way down, sanded, and halfway through step 2 on the Beall system when the White Diamond wheel grabbed the tube and threw it straight down onto the floor, shattering it and sending me into a dimension of pissed off that I haven't been in for quite some time. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Moral of the story...Put something soft under the buffing wheels. Now I'm off to recast this sucker.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Sorry to hear that Chris. I have been in super pissed mode myself on stuff like that. Sometimes its hard, but it pays to just walk away for a bit lol. Hope you have better luck this time around.

bitshird

Chris, Imagine how pissed off you would have been if it had thrown it back at you face :eek: :eek: :doctor: try buffing with the barrel on a wooden dowel or something you can hold on to

tim self

Sorry for your loss. I always use a mandrel and regular bushings. Only thing different is I only use the #3 wheel naked after sanding and plastic polish at about 60 degrees.

GoodTurns

been there, done that, now i have a rubber floor in my whole shop. (BJ's kid play mats, color on one side, black on the other, a lot cheaper than the exact same thing that is sold as floor mats! i think mine worked out to about 50 cents a foot)

Russianwolf

been there, done that, now i have a rubber floor in my whole shop. (BJ's kid play mats, color on one side, black on the other, a lot cheaper than the exact same thing that is sold as floor mats! i think mine worked out to about 50 cents a foot)

And when you get bored turning, you break out the legos don'tcha... :tongue:

Pioneerpens

That sucks! Sorry to hear it, I have also been there in that p'o'd zone, more times than i care to count lol...Can't wait to see the new one tho...

bruce119

I polish on the lathe. wet sand through the micro mesh then Novus II polish simple when it leaves the lathe it's done.

Hey you know if you used P.R. and you didn't damage the tube too bad you can recast it. In other words the good thing about PR if you have a big chip fly out all is not lost just scuff it up and recast it. The PR will bond into the old PR with out any notice. Now if you put wax on it or something now that's a problem you would have get it clean. Clean it real good with denatured alcohol then scuff it with about 400 or 600 grit. I fix blanks frequently even if your casting and you have a pesky bubble near the tube just dig it out and recast it.

I feel your pain losing a blank you put a lot of time into. But a lot of times they can be saved.

Good luck

BobRad

Thanks for this post,I just pulled out my Beall wheels and motor to start using on pens and that gives me fair warning to take care

jskeen

Chris, Imagine how pissed off you would have been if it had thrown it back at you face :eek: :eek: :doctor: try buffing with the barrel on a wooden dowel or something you can hold on to

and there is no rule that says it has to be a little dinky dowel either. Go ahead and turn yourself a 1 inch or thereabouts handle and then put a taper on it down to a size that you can put most tubes on. Easier to hold on to that way. (thanks for the tip Ed)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
pissed

I used to get pissed about things like that....then one day I realized that the sun will come up and go down tomorrow whether everything turned out perfect today or not. And, if it doesn't....who's gonna care.

Craftdiggity

I polish on the lathe. wet sand through the micro mesh then Novus II polish simple when it leaves the lathe it's done.

Hey you know if you used P.R. and you didn't damage the tube too bad you can recast it. In other words the good thing about PR if you have a big chip fly out all is not lost just scuff it up and recast it. The PR will bond into the old PR with out any notice. Now if you put wax on it or something now that's a problem you would have get it clean. Clean it real good with denatured alcohol then scuff it with about 400 or 600 grit. I fix blanks frequently even if your casting and you have a pesky bubble near the tube just dig it out and recast it.

I feel your pain losing a blank you put a lot of time into. But a lot of times they can be saved.

Good luck

Bruce,

It was, in fact, a PR project, but when I finally get it posted you'll see why I have to start over. The whole thing shattered and all of the material pulled off the tube with the PR. Lost cause. I cleaned the tube up and redid the material. I will recast tomorrow and hopefully turn it over the weekend.

Mickey

When I polish on a wheel I always insert a piece of dowel close to the size of the inside diameter of the tube. This give me something to hold on to and if the blank is grabbed loose from my finger tips it just spins on the dowel.

its_virgil

pissed off
Is it just me or do others here think this word has no place on the forum? It's too bad this word and several others have become some of our more common place adjectives and adverbs in our society. I mean no offense to any one but I must share what I think...especially about the usage of some words. I think we should add a list of "unacceptable words" to our "acceptable use" policy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom