Nova Pen Jaws on sale at Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

They came in and I must say that using them is better than just the NOVA chuck alone. I ran ten sets of blanks through them and everything came out great. The added length eliminated any wobble and automatically centered the blank perfectly, which is the reason for them anyway. $$$ well spent for a change.

Mengtian

I am still new to this (In fact, I am ordering my lathe this week LOL). What is the difference between using the chuck as opposed to using a mandrel to trun pens?

jcm71

I am still new to this (In fact, I am ordering my lathe this week LOL). What is the difference between using the chuck as opposed to using a mandrel to trun pens?

Mentgian, the chuck is used to drill the hole in the blanks prior to inserting the brass tubes. A pen mandrel is used to mount the pen blanks for shaping after the tubes have been glued in. Using a chuck with the appropriate set of jaws is more precise than using a drill press to drill the holes in your blanks.

Mengtian

Mentgian, the chuck is used to drill the hole in the blanks prior to inserting the brass tubes. A pen mandrel is used to mount the pen blanks for shaping after the tubes have been glued in. Using a chuck with the appropriate set of jaws is more precise than using a drill press to drill the holes in your blanks.

Thanks. I am making a list of what to order today. Looking lke the COmet II deal with the G3 chuck (496.00) Plus some chisels, a manderl, and odss and ends plus this chuck. Will keep my under 600. The other option was the Delta or RIkon which is 619.00 without chuck.

drewdin

I purchased the pen jaws, what speed to you guys use when drilling? I guess it depends on the wood being used but is there a generic speed you use? Thanks

jsolie

I purchased the pen jaws, what speed to you guys use when drilling? I guess it depends on the wood being used but is there a generic speed you use? Thanks

I drill at my lathe's slowest speed, which is around 550 rpm. I have a little spray bottle with water which I'll sometimes use when drilling an acrylic blank. I don't use the spray bottle with a wooden blank since I don't want the blank deciding to swell up and cause me grief.

drewdin

I pretty much keep my lathe belt on the middle setting, between 1100-2600 rpm, do you think 1100 is too fast?

Thanks

KenV

I pretty much keep my lathe belt on the middle setting, between 1100-2600 rpm, do you think 1100 is too fast?

Thanks

Too fast for me. I do not have rpm readings, but estimate most drilling at 200-500 rpm. The larger the bit the slower the speed.

60 rpm is the same as 1 revolution per second.

drewdin

Picked up the jaws yesterday, I like them so far. only drilled two pens, I wish they opened up 1/4" more so I could fit a 2"x2" blank in there too.

mrrichieboy

Advice for anyone using the Nova Pen Chuck.....file down the outboard corners of the 2 pieces of the chuck. The first time you hit those exposed corners with your knuckle or finger, you will be glad you did. Eliminates cuts and blood on your ways!!---Rich

Sabaharr

Drill as slow as you can. Your enemy in most materials is heat and speed equals heat. A good sharp drill will go through your material even if you can count the revs. Fast turning equal burning. If drilling acrylic it also equals melting and that will tear up the inside of the hole. DAMHIKT. I almost wish I had a hand crank on my headstock and could turn the material that way. Bottom line is the slower you spin it the smoother the hole will be.

Top Bottom