Nova g3 question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Can't go wrong with that G3. It sells for about $97 elsewhere shipped...so the price is right. The set screw keeps the chuck from coming loose in reverse, I do not use the screw as I do not use reverse.

Warren White

I have two, and in addition...

...I have had excellent customer service from Teknatool.

The G3 is an excellent chuck. Make sure you have the right jaws for the work you intend on doing.

WriteON

I hope I'm not violating forum rules. Amazon sells it for $99 shipped. Rockler is overpriced at $125 for the reversible G3(48232) . I got mine from CPOoutlets for about $105 as I enjoy their recourse if needed. Regardless the G3 was recommended by a lot of members and I'm glad I took advice.... but like everything else Shop Around

Last edited:

KenV

The 48232 is made with 1 by 8 threads. Good chuck with lots of options for jaws. Set screw is optional for use, but is a good idea when running with reverse_(such as for reverse sanding)

There is also a model for similar price that uses inserts for an array of headstock threads. Then add on the price of the insert.

RobS

i love mine, you can usually order online on black friday, thats what I did last year. I own 2, love them.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have several and love them. I use the set screw occasionally but not unless doing long intervals of bowl/box sanding, but I'll recommend YOU to use it!!! (and yes, I do pen reverse sanding for short periods of time 10-15 sec, then back to forward, checking the chuck for tightness after each rotation, no set screw used).

MTViper

I have a G3 I use on my midi lathe. I use Supernova IIs on my Jet 1642. If you watch the sales, Woodcraft occasionally puts the G3 on sale with 4 different jaw sets for less than $150.

Spinzwood

I have one and love it. However, it will be my last. Why? I'd opt for the Supernova or other with the larger thread as it is more flexible. I can use it on my midi lathe.. but I can also use it on my (not yet purchased) full size lathe. The nova adaptor with the set screw is a simple <$20 addition. YMMV

Top Bottom