Nova DVR Xp question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions on the nova.

1) Are you happy with your lathe purchase.

2) besides pens, what else do you turn on it(and can it handle the job)

3) if you were going to buy another lathe, which one were you going to buy?

im getting close to buying my lathe, im looking for opinions

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob

Keven,

I'm sure others will chime in, but I have a DVR. I've done a few pens on it, but generally use my Jet VS mini for those. As for the DVR, I've been more than pleased with it and it's performance. I've turned some fairly large plates (about 20 inch) using the swivel head feature and had no troubles. Have done a number of very deep bowls 12-14 inch in diameter, to include coring with no power issues. I do like the fact that you can program speeds and that it is "direct drive" with no belt issues. Mine came wired for 110 volts. If there is something else I can answer for you, let me know.

Rob

M

Mudder

I have a DVR which is the predecessor to the XP and I could not be happier with it. I've turned , Pens, Bowls, Boxes, Peppermills, Candlesticks, walking sticks, a 14" diameter x 21" high hollow form and a 24" platter. I run mine on 110 volts and it seems to have enough to do whatever I asked it to do so far. I believe that the major difference between the lathes is that the XP has the ability to remember 5 speed settings and the bed is shaped a bit differently. There may be more differences bit I confess that I have not done an analysis to determine what they are.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a DVR, not the XP. Mine is the last version of the DVR before it went ot the XP and mine does have the 5 pre-sets. To directly answer your questions:

1. I am EXTREMELY happy and have not plans to ever upgrade at this time.

2. I have done pens, platters, bowls, hollowforms, and boxes-the full gamut. My largest platter is abou 16" and my largerst bowl is about the same.

3. I looked at the Jet 1642VS but felt the DVR was a much more technologically advanced lathe and I like tech! I liked the no belts and the swivel head.

4. I ran mine on 110 until I extended 220v to my bandsaw that is somewhat close to the lathe. I went ahead and extended the 220v to the lathe and switched it over. I do seem to notice more power but it had plenty on 110v also.

Ligget

I have had my DVR xp from new, and if I was going to replace my lathe I would buy the same again.

I only turn pens on mine so I cannot help with how it copes with the bigger stuff.

Mine has the outrigger attachment but I left it off as I would not use it on pens.

Get a DVR xp and you`ll be glad you did!:D

1) Are you happy with your lathe purchase. Extreemly pleased.

2) besides pens, what else do you turn on it(and can it handle the job) Bowls, spindles, paperclip holder. It has done everything I have asked it to do.

3) if you were going to buy another lathe, which one were you going to buy? I'd stick with my XP

Mine is wired with 110. I have had no problems.

Top Bottom