nova comet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDE

I've had my comet for around a year and lately I have noticed the speed doesn't work like it did before. It isn't running as fast as normal. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it? Happy new year, Ted:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Sorry ican't help you, but,
I'll be watching this very closely as i've been looking at getting one these in the next month or so.

Harry

edstreet

First check the belt tension. If the belt does slip that would account for that. It also accounts for some motor surges when cutting. That is defacto on all lathes, regardless of brand.

preacherman

I have the Nova Comet and have not had any problems with mine. I have only had it about five months though.

There were some reviews that said the speed control unit gave problems. Others said there were some issues with debris in the motor. Either of these could cause your described problems.

Last edited:

TDE

I did blow out the motor and check the tension on the belt. It seems to be working now. I will keep an eye on it. My first thought was a problem with the speed control, I sure hope that isn't the case. Thanks for the answers. Ted:)

edstreet

I did blow out the motor and check the tension on the belt. It seems to be working now. I will keep an eye on it. My first thought was a problem with the speed control, I sure hope that isn't the case. Thanks for the answers. Ted:)

Buildup can do things like this, also belt stretching over time, tension changes i.e. season changes can do this among problems with the motor, chemicals on the pulley/belt.

Grab a few extra belts to keep on hand just in case. Also check the belt from time to time, the grooves etc will get eaten up and eventually break.

Janster

Sounds normal......

.....check the motor brushes. Been there done that, TWICE!
Good luck!

TDE

Well I finally got a new belt for my lathe and it still does the same thing. I checked the brushes and they look new. I bought my lathe last Feb. When I turn up the speed it seems to speed up till it reaches a certain speed then it slows down even though you turn the speed control higher. I was afraid it wasn't just the belt. I will call them on Monday to ask what the next step is. I really miss my lathe working like it should. I just thought I would give a update on what was going on. Thanks, Ted:)

Top Bottom