Nova 3000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjwood2000

Hi all! Just got my new Nova 3000 and already like it, only usede it once. Was wondering what rpm most people turn at and sand at. Thanks for any info. Jeff in Alaska

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

The best speed for turning pens and spindles is what you are comfortable with. Larger pieces of wood are a different story, the larger and heavier the slower you turn, especially when roughing out.

For sanding, some people sand at a medium to slow speed. High speed needs more care so no heat is generated, which is the most important thing, especially with woods that tend to crack, and plastics that can melt.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Jeff! I have a Jet 1014VS and like to turn at "mach 2 with my hair on fire" but I tend to sand at a more reasonable rate...say 1800 rpm or so. At that speed I use a very light touch so as not to heat the wood or acrylics. The most important thing, however, is to turn and sand at a speed that you find comfortable and that produces your best results. There are as many variations on that combination as we have members.

Fred in NC

My Jet Mini will go almost that fast, turns well over 4,000 RPM with my DC motor (pics in my album). Chips fly out so fast I cannot see them ! I usually turn pens a bit slower that that. I don't want to turn so fast that I have to put the finish on them first, and then turn them. [:D] [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom