Not a WOW pen but...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I know it's a crappy photo but it is what it is. This is my first Big Ben. Made of Texas Mesquite that was a gift from a member here. I like the Big Ben but I wouldn't like to carry it in a shirt pocket. Anyway I just wanted to let you folks know that I do indeed make pens......Craig

DSCF0731_zpsd3klmuuq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Looking good there Craig!
Don't sell yourself short. You are doing well!
Just a little linear sanding to remove the radial sanding marks and you are good to go! Save this one and look back in a couple of years to see has far you have progressed in pen turning.
Post some more pics when you can.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job there, Craig!

I really like the looks of the Cigar/Big Ben pens. They're a bit bulky for me though, so I don't actually use them very often. I do like to make one every once in a while for the pen displays I have here in my office. I haven't made one in mesquite yet, but it looks good on that kit - guess I'll have to give that a try soon.

magpens

VERY NICE !!! .... I like the profile you have turned on the cap ... going to do that on one of mine soon ! Thanks for posting and congratulations on your successes !

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Craig: I'm going to give a few observations... But as a preface, I will say in all honesty, your pen is MUCH better than I turned early on.

Not sure, but the upper barrel may be a bit recessed in the middle??? May be the photo angle. If not, then consider a more straight or very slight bulge outwards (obtuse??? never could remember those terms :))

And as Charlie W suggested, sanding with the lathe off (L-R) will take out a lot of sanding blemishes. You don't have too many, but your current audience is very particular :tongue::tongue::tongue:! But in a nice way!

The Mesquite is awesome!!! And the choice of kits is great. (A bold blank with a bold kit). You may be surprised, this kit is a bit heavy, but may grow on you at work. I usually am a "pants carry" vs a "shirt carry", so I am not opposed to a nice Cigar/Big Ben. Soon I will be trying these kits without the center band...

And... other the reflection in the clip, the picture is actually very nice!!!

Nice pen Craig!!!

wyone

Love this group.. constructive criticism in the nicest way... you guys are really awesome.. and I like the pen.. I am mixed on if I like the center turned more than the ends... I did not think I would like it.. but I sort of do.. :) :)

79spitfire

This is definitely better than my first tries. I kinda like the reverse curve look to the upper half.

Top Bottom