Not Sure Where To Ask This...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

Where do you guys/gals store your wooden pen blanks?
I have a bunch that a friend gave me, plus quite a few I bought online. Anyway, how do you store them?
These are dry, but not stabilized. Is a plastic bag ok?
How about a cardboard box?
I'm trying to keep them organized, like in one place, but not so much by type of wood. That will come later, once I clean out my basement & make more room for my woodworking hobbies.

Thanks for any directions.

_______
Spec

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skywizzard

Gee....
I thought everyone stored their blanks and kits in a 100 year old apothecary cabinet.....:)

Attachments

• Cabinet.jpg
    Cabinet.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Cabinet2.jpg
    Cabinet2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 238

skywizzard

That is Just sick and wrong!!!! :eek:

LOL, I am a pharmacist & used to collect all things pharmacy, got 3 of these cabinets about 25 years ago. I used the better ones with sliding glass doors on top to display pharmacy bottles, etc. The others ended up in my shop. My lathe sits on a smaller lower cabinet. All the drawers work great for a shop.

jkeithrussell

Cardboard boxes work well. Shoe organizers from Home Depot work well also. Plastic storage bins from Wally World. Whatever.

I'd give my left groin muscle for an apothecary cabinet like that!

I've been looking for one at a decent price for years. Library card cabinets are good also.

skywizzard

Sorry Spec,
I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Your question is a good one. Before I cleaned out the cabinet and started using it for blanks instead of miscellaneous junk, I used the shoe box sized plastic storage boxes with covers. You can get these at Walmart, and similar places. Watch and you can catch them on sale. They are about the right width, it just helps to make some cardboard dividers to help separate the blanks. The boxes are stackable.

Oh yeah, welcome to IAP.

sefali

USPS medium flat rate priority boxes work great too. Tape up the bottom, and cut the top flaps off. The height is just right for most blanks. They're stackable, you can label them, and they're CHEAP!

RAdams

Banned
I had an old chest of drawers laying around doing nothing. The top drawer is all non wood blanks. Second drawer is wood pen blanks third drawer is kits and parts that didn't make the cut and need gone through. The bottom drawer i keep larger pieces of wood in. I have a little 4 drawer thingy on wheels that i keep all my kits, and some tools and accessories in.

PenPal

Storing blanks

Lately and because of our terrible for us cold weather i bought two Disk Storage sets of shelves the do it yourself put together in hours type leaving out the special plastic racks and fitting four shelves on that side during assembly. I now have 500 blanks in the Lounge room handily placed for the forthcoming pens with the rest in the workshop so I can cycle when needed and select in comfort. They cost about 20 bucks each in veneered chip board and stand about four feet high by 15 inches. Like grasshoppers every store has them.

Have fun Peter and welcome to decision land, level of importance.

Top Bottom