Not sure what to do with this blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgio13

I got this stabilized and dyed BEB blank a while ago as a "freebie" and was wondering if I should finish this as is, or should I try to color the spots where the dye wasn't absorbed. Never turned one before and was wondering what others thought, thanks.

Bill

Attachments

• DSC09037.jpg
    DSC09037.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 506
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

It seems unanimous that it should be left the way it is (and I AGREE!!!), but I'm going to give a bit more background (all IMO, others certainly know more than I do, and may correct me...)

The stabilizing/dying process works quicker/more completely on less dense areas of wood at a given amount of vaccum (i.e. they get dyed more easily and in many cases less dense areas become darker than more dense areas) The parts of your blank that are not dyed are the MOST DENSE parts of the blank, so they are going to be more difficult to dye/stabilize, and in the end. it may not be possible (they are just TOO dense). Also, if you manage to get them to take some color, without using the SAME color and at the SAME concentration as the original process, the color will not be the same, drawing more attention to it.

bgio13

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I could not live with myself at the thought of burdening someone with the challenge of turning this blank, so I have decided to do it myself. I promise to post pictures of the finished pen. Thanks again,

Bill

Brooks803

It seems unanimous that it should be left the way it is (and I AGREE!!!), but I'm going to give a bit more background (all IMO, others certainly know more than I do, and may correct me...)

The stabilizing/dying process works quicker/more completely on less dense areas of wood at a given amount of vaccum (i.e. they get dyed more easily and in many cases less dense areas become darker than more dense areas) The parts of your blank that are not dyed are the MOST DENSE parts of the blank, so they are going to be more difficult to dye/stabilize, and in the end. it may not be possible (they are just TOO dense). Also, if you manage to get them to take some color, without using the SAME color and at the SAME concentration as the original process, the color will not be the same, drawing more attention to it.

That's exactly what I was gonna say!

The more pressing question is who is giving dyed BEB away as freebies?

I've been known to toss one in a box from time to time :wink:

turncrazy43

Leave the blanks as is and finish with CA or WTF.It will be really nice.

Charlie_W

When you put some sanding sealer or finish on that blank, you will see the beauty in it! People pay good money to have those eves in blanks!
With the blue, consider chrome componets!

robutacion

I call that "Character" and would leave it. You probably wouldn't get those spots to take dye anyway. They didn't the first time.

The reason why the blank was stabilized with a colour was to enhance the burl eyes within the burl sapwood, that otherwise would have a very boring colour.

Those burl eyes together with the heartwood are very oily and that is the reason why the dye did not penetrate however and as I said, that was the intended result so, even if you would try to dye those areas where the dye didn't come through, it wouldn't accept it, unless you would use something that would me more like a paint than a dye and then coat it, the problem would be, it wouldn't allow fine sanding before the CA/finish application, any small attempt would rub the stain off those uncoloured areas, again.

There is nothing to worry about with that blank, sand it fine and CA it well, the colours will become very vivid, almost like, they want to jump out of the wood...!

Good luck,:wink::biggrin:

PS: One can only be surprised on what one can receive in a order as a "gift" mostly in the "short" department, some really gems go as a thank you, sometimes...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I guess I was wrong...looking at a blank now it's the going to make a great looking pen...it going to be awesome.

bgio13

Finally.....a pen

Couldn't decide which photo to use, so I chose all three, I really wanted to show the whole blank. Chose to go with Chrome/Satin Chrome Elegant Sierra components. Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoy,

Bill

Attachments

• DSC09070 (2).jpg
    DSC09070 (2).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC09071 (2).jpg
    DSC09071 (2).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC09076 (2).jpg
    DSC09076 (2).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom