Not sure there Is Anything I Can Do But

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

a few weeks ago poured a Pearl Ex copper/opaque black mix. I panted the tubes black, glued into the blanks then started turning. This was supposed to go on a copper euro kit. there is one spot on the blank near the nib end where the opaque black isn't opaque and you can see the brass tube. I don't know what happened to the paint. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I now have 2 keyrings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

Depending on how much work you want to put into it - you could turn down to the brass, touch up paint and lay colored resin onto the tube.

Another option - reduce the length of the tube and make up the difference in a wider center band.

The other option - chalk it up to a learning experience and recast - al that is lost is the brass tubes and some resin

PenMan1

Very carefully, knock out any existing hardware. Then put several layers of masking tape around the finished blank to protect the finish. Then, mount the taped blank into a centering vice (I use a collet chuck for this task) and then mount a drill bit JUST BIGGER than the inside diameter of the tube.

Next, I point a 500 watt halogen light "up close" blank for about 5 minutes. THEN, I redrill the blank. Usually the heat helps to break the glue bond and the tube slides right up the drill bit.

THEN, FINALLY, repaint the new hole in the blank. When the paint is dry glue in a new set of tubes using epoxy glue with 1 drop of acrylic paint the same color you used to paint the new hole in the blank.

The easiest fix for this is to just turn down the acrylic as if you were making a comfort pen and put a rubber boot from a comfort onto it. I have seen euros done this way and they really look good. Nice easy fix for you too.

Coysquibbly

Very carefully, knock out any existing hardware. Then put several layers of masking tape around the finished blank to protect the finish. Then, mount the taped blank into a centering vice (I use a collet chuck for this task) and then mount a drill bit JUST BIGGER than the inside diameter of the tube.

Next, I point a 500 watt halogen light "up close" blank for about 5 minutes. THEN, I redrill the blank. Usually the heat helps to break the glue bond and the tube slides right up the drill bit.

THEN, FINALLY, repaint the new hole in the blank. When the paint is dry glue in a new set of tubes using epoxy glue with 1 drop of acrylic paint the same color you used to paint the new hole in the blank.

Doesn't look like you have ever had to do this before:biggrin:
Great idea.

Kevin

Last edited:

PenMan1

Doesn't look like you have ever had to do this before:biggrin:
Great idea.

Kevin

This is NOT for the faint of heart, and it DOESN'T work every time. BUT when you screw up a blank you've paid $75 or more for, or when you screw up one you've worked weeks preparing.......you look for any fix you can!

Respectfully submitted.

crokett

work has been keeping me busy the last several days but finally got some time last night. mikespenturnignz sent me 2 comfort grips. Thanks Mike!

the plan originally was to turn the problem spot off the nib end and put on a grip, but I found another spot near the other end. So...I decided to try drilling out the tube. I figured if it didn't work, I'd only lost a few minutes. I started the drilling at the nib end. I thought if I wrecked something it would be there and I still had the comfort grips. It worked. I repainted the inside of the blank and have a new tube in but will still use the comfort grip. I will (hopefully) post a pic of the pen tonight.

PenMan1

work has been keeping me busy the last several days but finally got some time last night. mikespenturnignz sent me 2 comfort grips. Thanks Mike!

the plan originally was to turn the problem spot off the nib end and put on a grip, but I found another spot near the other end. So...I decided to try drilling out the tube. I figured if it didn't work, I'd only lost a few minutes. I started the drilling at the nib end. I thought if I wrecked something it would be there and I still had the comfort grips. It worked. I repainted the inside of the blank and have a new tube in but will still use the comfort grip. I will (hopefully) post a pic of the pen tonight.

I'm GLAD you tried my "trick" and I'm glad it worked for you. NOW, with your newly found confidence...... You can REALLY screw up something REALLY expensive:)

Welcome to the "uh oh" club. May your patch ups always be successful:)

Top Bottom