Not my Night

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Well I've only made 3 Pens, 1 Pencil, and 1 Keychain but I decided to push myself a little bit and see how well I could do... 0-2. I first was going to make an Executive with Buffalo Horn. I was excited to do something other than a Slimline and it was going well until the very end. I was making my final passes and right at the end it blew out. I am sure that I didn't get enough glue on the end... lesson learned. Now I need a replacement tube. So I went in and watch some TV, but then decided to go out again... Should have stayed in. This time it was back to the Slimline with Red Palm. I know Red Palm can be tricky, and now I know first hand. As I neared the end I stopped and flooded the blank with thin CA, turned some, stopped and flooded, turned, stopped and flooded, turned, BOOM. Must have needed to stop and flood it one more time. The other thought I had was to put thin CA inside before I glue in the tube with thick Ca. Is this a good idea? Anyway, I turned the other end into a keychain, but never did flood that side again? Guess it's just one of those days I hear about... but I learned quite a bit (not the way I wanted to though).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That's always the best way to learn. Almost every lesson I've learned that has stuck with me has been from screwing up.

For seem to be years ahead of where I was when I had only made a few pens, very good start I'd say. I didn't know much about CA, wood, or other kits beside slimlines. And of course, you've already found the most valuable pen turning tool out there, IAP.

Keep making them, they'll keep getting better.

jkeithrussell

Working on pens when tired or frustrated guarantees failure. At least that has always been the case for me.

Try breaking the entire pen making process down into discrete parts. It helps me to focus on each step and not take short cuts. For me, the separate parts are (1) everything that happens before the lathe, (2) everything that happens on the lathe, (3) everything that happens after the lathe. Perhaps finishing should be taken out as a separate step. I very often just do one step, although maybe for multiple pens, and then stop.

Daniel

Some days nothing goes right. even the stuff you do every day. the only good choice on a day like that is to lay everything down and leave it alone.

Don Farr

Working on pens when tired or frustrated guarantees failure. At least that has always been the case for me.

Try breaking the entire pen making process down into discrete parts. It helps me to focus on each step and not take short cuts. For me, the separate parts are (1) everything that happens before the lathe, (2) everything that happens on the lathe, (3) everything that happens after the lathe. Perhaps finishing should be taken out as a separate step. I very often just do one step, although maybe for multiple pens, and then stop.

This is very good advice that Kieth offers. That's the way I have always done it. Works for me.:)

DennisM

This is very good advice that Kieth offers. That's the way I have always done it. Works for me.:)

Great advice, I do the same.

When I started, (couple weeks ago) I take it in steps.

Step one is prepare the Blank. figure out the layout and cut to size, then drill the center out. Once that is done, I then sand paper the tubes, coat around four sides of the tube and twist it as I put it in the blank.

Then I let it sit an prepare the mandrel on the lathe, this gives the glue time to setup in the blank.

Then using the pen mill prepare the ends of the blanks and mount on the mandrel. This is another time that I take min break from it and verify that everything is aligned and tight ready to go.

Get the tools ready and step away for a min. Get a drink, bio break, etc..

Then Once I come back its Only turning time, No thoughts of anything else, just slow careful focus on the turning. Still working on getting the final thickness right..

Once I am ready for finish, I clean off the area around the lathe, and start the finish steps...

By doing this and taking the little breaks inbetween steps, helps to focus on the current task and not get ahead of myself..

Dennis

Wheaties

I'm going round 2 tonight... Instead of going back to something a little easier, I am going to try my bamboo blank I have.

Does anyone have any pointers so I don't end up 0-3? :eek:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'm going round 2 tonight... Instead of going back to something a little easier, I am going to try my bamboo blank I have.

Does anyone have any pointers so I don't end up 0-3? :eek:

Zachary,

You made an excellent point in your initial post. When you are turning a wood that tends to be fragile like the palm, it is helpful to put a few drops of thin CA in the drill hole prior to gluing in the tube. Eagle used to put a piece of masking tape on one end of the blank, pour in a few drops of thin CA and then tape the other end. Roll the blank around a bit to let the CA soak in as much as possible. Either pour out the excess CA or use in in the other half of the blank. Let the CA set and redrill the hole to make sure your tube will slide in smoothly. Then use your thick CA to glue in the tube. Still flood from the outside as you were doing and hopefully things will go better tonight.

Wheaties

I had a thought as I was "falling asleep" last night, but not sure if it would work...

I drill on the lathe with my blank in a chuck. I was thinking I could put thin CA in the tube as it spins to act as a centerfuge as well as using the natural capulary action.

Is this a good or bad idea?

hilltopper46

Zachary,

You made an excellent point in your initial post. When you are turning a wood that tends to be fragile like the palm, it is helpful to put a few drops of thin CA in the drill hole prior to gluing in the tube. Eagle used to put a piece of masking tape on one end of the blank, pour in a few drops of thin CA and then tape the other end. Roll the blank around a bit to let the CA soak in as much as possible. Either pour out the excess CA or use in in the other half of the blank. Let the CA set and redrill the hole to make sure your tube will slide in smoothly. Then use your thick CA to glue in the tube. Still flood from the outside as you were doing and hopefully things will go better tonight.

To build on this, if it were me, I would not turn any blank that I did this to the night that I did it, I would set it aside for at least overnight. 24 hours would be better. YMMV.

Top Bottom