NOT Just Another Rebar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

EDIT: I forgot what forum I was in, I had intended this for "Show Off Your Pens". Moderators please move this if it doesn't belong in pen turning.

Its made from bits and pieces including parts from cigar pens, slimline, and shop made parts, most of the "standard" parts have been modified somewhat.

Two cigar trannys and two cigar center couplers donated male and female threads for the slimline nib and finial. The rebar is 3/8", the clicker button is made from 1/4" steel rod, internal spacers are 7mm tubing. The clicker mechanism is from a clicker repair kit that includes three pieces of plastic but no spring. Spring is from a Tractor Supply spring assortment.

The pen uses a Parker style refill. I think it turned out nice and so did the LOML, she claimed it even before it was complete.:rolleyes: I liked the rebar because the pattern was a little different then most of the rebar pens I have seen. It has a zig-zag pattern instead of hash marks. It is still in a prototype stage, I want to replace the nib with a chrome one and the clicker guide needs to be black or gun metal. Not real fond of the clip either, will be looking for one that fits closer to the barrel.

I turned a little off the whole length of the pen because the two ribs along its length(blue line in pic, forgot to turn off my shop lights) were really pronounced and I wanted to flush them but then I noticed how nice they looked shinny so I went far enough to shine up the zig-zag marks as well. Gave it a nice contrast almost segmented look. At the moment the only finish is a couple applications of paste wax.
IMG_4650_49_1_Detail.jpg

This is a better shot, better focus too.:biggrin:
IMG_4653_2_4_Detail.jpg

What it looks like when disassembled.
IMG_4647.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I like the contrast you got by skimming the barrel.

You're on to something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

JD Combs Sr

Yup that pretty cool I have seen several rebar pens that I think are cool but this one is the coolest. Best of all you save the rebar from being eternally cast in concrete.
I didn't know they made rebar that thin.

18" links picked up at the local Lowe's. They had half inch but never even thought of using it. For some reason I thought that 3/8" was what others I had seen on here were made from, until I went back and re-read some of them.:redface:

Top Bottom