Not Happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
3 weeks of daily use of a Chrome Jr. Gent I. Now I dont expect this lower end pen to last forever but 3 weeks?

Attachments

• photo (6)1.jpg
    photo (6)1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 388
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are you the one using the pen??? It has been noted not that long ago here that some people have more acid in their bodies or something like that which can actually eat away pen finishes far more quickly. Maybe the person using the pen is one of those people.

This is the second pen I have supplied to the same user, the first one was used for over a year until he lost it, this was the exact same pen ( wood and kit) as the other. The other pen was still shiny when it was lost.

Wildman

Where did you buy this pen kit? Have you contacted or talked with the vendor? Think should contact vendor and see if others have the same problem. Might also replace the kit if has a bad run on these kits & poor plating a problem.

Then again, Russ Fairfield used to say some people are so toxic only a Bic pen will work for them. So guess echoing what John T. said.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Of I was the vendor, I'd want to know.

I wonder if this is happening elsewhere or an isolated event?

It would make me a bit nervous about buying the kit.

sbell111

I have never seen a chrome kit go that bad that quickly. It looks more like it has had ten years of hard use.

Definitely contact your supplier about the issue. (Unless you bought it from me. If that's the case, then I agree that it was operator error. One should never use such a fine instrument to stir the muriatic acid.)

That actually makes me think that an earlier poster might be on to something. What does this customer do for a living?

Last edited:
I have not contacted the supplier, I wasnt going to give him grief over 1 kit, he has sold me alot of them that are wonderful.

Seamus....I bet this guy was handling rattle snakes prior to using the pen

This pen is used in an office enviorment and the guy doesnt use any products I can think of that would cause this..(this was my first thought)

You know I tried once to polish a pen and the finish did come off just like that. I can't remember what the finish was but it had some CA on it but I didn't know at the time it was CA but I polished it with some auto polish and took the finish right off. I can see how a customer could think they were going to make their pen really beautiful, polish it and accidentally do this. I did report it to the supplier and he replaced it without any question. After I realized what it was I also reported to the supplier and he thanked me for my honesty. It set him at ease knowing that it was in fact my own fault not the fault of the product. I had used some CA to hold the parts in because I thought they were too loose (in my opinion. I may not have the same opinion now) but the CA didn't setup before I screwed it in but it looked more like tarnish? Well needless to say I learned something from that experience and had to thank the vendor for being so patient with me. Thanks again I am sure he knows who he is and if he wishes to reveal who he is it is OK by me. Anyway I know that polishing is not a smart move now applying wax may be OK any thoughts from you guys on the wax?

Last edited:

SteveG

Wax coats and protects...GOOD

Polish has/is abrasive (albeit very fine), and in general is not good for platings (except for double-super-ultra-fine intended for that purpose and used sparingly).

plano_harry

Jason, this post cracked me up -- "Not Happy" by SerentyWoodWorks -- now that's funny! :biggrin:

Anyway, as the guy with the acid hands (check out my "Caustic fingers" post -- I can tell you what pens not to touch!:at-wits-end:) I have started using Renaissance Wax also. I don't know if it works but Holz Mechaniker and KeithByrd recommended it. May be like wetting your pants in a dark suit -- it gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices :tongue:

Good luck,
Harry

Haynie

It really does not matter if the supplier has supplied you with years of great service and products. This one product is bad and I am sure they will want to know about it. Might be a problem with a whole batch.

I have a customer who I have sold items to for 5 years now. He is my shop at least once a week the whole season. I sold him a "special" threaded bolt and it was not threaded right. He brought it back. All the packages for that bolt were mislabeled at the manufacturer. Problem solved and I would not have known had he just ignored it. I guess he could not ignore it because that was the only type of bolt that will fit and that is the only manufacturer but you get what I am saying. When I called the manufacturer they did not know about it either. That one person cleared a LOT of future problems up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom