Not a good pen weekend--Whine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

This may be minimal for some, but it bummed be out.
First I blow up a Banded Malachite Trustone when drilling :mad:. Then I get a little too aggressive with my skew (which I have figured out now is not a good idea) on a cactus blank. Now I finished up a beautiful Red Hot Pepper Cigar and go to put it together realizing too late that I have mixed up the tubes. :at-wits-end:

I'm figuring I can fix this one up with some tweaks so now I'm looking for ideas to try to salvage the cigar. Any ideas?

The cactus and trustone were well beyond repair.

Thanks for letting me vent. And please, any suggestions on the cigar are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you turned the two tubes of a cigar, the problem is getting the short one long enough to use as the "pen" part, or getting more "beef" on the short one, which is now turned too thin.

"oooopppps" rings can be employed for either goal. (An "oops" ring is a piece of plastic added to the ends of the upper and or lower tubes. "pickguard" material is popular--I keep a half dozen colors of sheet stock (eighth and sixteenth inch thickness) available for such times.

From this information, you will have to improvise. You can cut a small amount of material off the end of the short tube (which has been turned to the "pen" diameter) and put the eighth inch pieces on it (they will extend beyond the tube, making the pen part long enough--MEASURE) --both ends-- and come up with the length of the long tube. Then, turn it and glue in the pen parts, since they will not be seated very far into the tubes. That's the easier of the two choices.

Something I learned long ago in penmaking. IF you screw something up, either quit or take a long break for that night. Then, approach your next project realizing you will be impatient.

How we FEEL has a GREAT impact on how we turn!! And after an "oh sh..!!!" moment, great self-control is required----I have learned to quit for the night, instead. Cause I don't recover from "PO'ed" that quickly. YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, feel free to ask if I can be of any assist!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BTW, adding decorative rings to the end of the red pepper is a good idea anyhow. There is a lot of "stuff" in those blanks so a piece of plastic at the end would reinforce it, making the whole pen more durable.

So, when you complete the pen, this is the REASON you did it with plastic ends---certainly NOT because you GOOFED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dustygoose

I have swapped the tubes around before and after the usual words, Cou-yon (cajun for crazy) and a few others. I just trimmed off some of the refil, then put the plastic cap back on and use it myself as a daily writer. I will show it off to people but that one I didn't and wont sell.

Also, like Ed said, I shut it down for the night or take a few hours off. Now I double check the lengths of the tubes when I mount them to the lathe.

ToddMR

Don't feel bad I have done the exact same thing. One thing you could do is get some of the 10 mm secret compartment keychains from woodturningz.com. I have used them to salvage cigar pens that ended up being too short etc. It works out. Other times I have mixed up the cigar. Turn something different material wise for the long end that looks good with the cap end. Then you have a mixed blank pen that can look nice still. Just some thoughts. I have learned too when I mess up even though I want to keep on going, if I sleep it off then work on it more the next morning everything seems to go smoother for me.

Buzzzz4

Thanks for a few ideas, I may build up with CA and see if I can bring it around for a standard cigar. I was successful with one pen this weekend and hit someone's shopping cart pretty hard.

Thanks again!

I've done the same thing! In addition, I made an outstanding "fancy sierra" and promptly ran over it with the truck. Still works, just a couple of small dents. Not sell-able though, spit happens! Jim

Thanks for a few ideas, I may build up with CA and see if I can bring it around for a standard cigar. I was successful with one pen this weekend and hit someone's shopping cart pretty hard.

Thanks again!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I usually shut it down and walk out of the shop only to realize I'm whistling, "Mama told me there'd be days like this":musical-note::beat-up::musical-note:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
chuck it

When I screw up big time I tend to make an addition to the garbage sack. Salvage what I can..bust things up and get out the tubes, run over them with my dremel to get the gunk off and sweep the wood into the can. Make a different style pen or two, then try again. Sometimes it works, for me trying a salvage job never works.

Top Bottom