Nooby question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyfisher117

What is the different in pen mandrels me and a friend are wanting to turn some fancy pen kits not just slim lines and the bushings are made for mandrel A or B... whats the difference?

its_virgil

The A mandrel has a diameter of .245 and the B mandrel has a diameter of .291. The B mandrel is only used (as far as I know) for the larger Berea kits. But, bushings for the A mandrel are available for Berea kits that use the B mandrel. For example, Woodcraft sells Berea kits but Woodcraft only uses the A mandrel. In other words, the El Grande is a Berea kit that calls for the B mandrel at the Berea website and at Arizona Silhouette. But Woodcraft also sells the El Grande and sells bushings that fit the A mandrel. All Berea kits that call for the B mandrel have bushings available for the A mandrel and Woodcraft would be one source. I have turned almost every kit available and turned them on the A mandrel. The A mandrel is the one you are using for slimlines.
Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

What is the different in pen mandrels me and a friend are wanting to turn some fancy pen kits not just slim lines and the bushings are made for mandrel A or B... whats the difference?

flyfisher117

The A mandrel has a diameter of .245 and the B mandrel has a diameter of .291. The B mandrel is only used (as far as I know) for the larger Berea kits. But, bushings for the A mandrel are available for Berea kits that use the B mandrel. For example, Woodcraft sells Berea kits but Woodcraft only uses the A mandrel. In other words, the El Grande is a Berea kit that calls for the B mandrel at the Berea website and at Arizona Silhouette. But Woodcraft also sells the El Grande and sells bushings that fit the A mandrel. All Berea kits that call for the B mandrel have bushings available for the A mandrel and Woodcraft would be one source. I have turned almost every kit available and turned them on the A mandrel. The A mandrel is the one you are using for slimlines.
Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ok so is the A mandrel the most common and most used as far as different types of pens? because at school we have the mandrel but we dont know the type and the teacher looks at us with a goofy look when we ask him so weve got to figure this out on our own. Im guessing its A since we turn slimlines on it though

Top Bottom