Noobie Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xmaddchillx

How do I get the faceplate off my headstock. Its on extremely tight I got a 1-1/4 wrench but how do I keep the headstock from spinning? Is there some sort of special wrench for that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Maker

mine came with a tamping pin to break free the mandrel, chucks, etc. Look for a hole behind the faceplate. Use the tamp pin together with the wrench.

Pen Maker

your doing it right! Gonna need some WD40. Probably got wood dust in the threads or something binding? Visually Inspect it.

Rudy Vey

Does your spindle has some flat areas where you could hold it with a wrench or do you have a spindle lock?? Then you can hold the spindle and use another wrench on the faceplate. In case you get it loose, you may consider putting a large plastic washer between the faceplate and the end of your spindle - you can buy them, or make them yourself from lids of a margarine or yoghurt container.

stolicky

The key is to locking the spindle, somehow, and then getting a hold of the plate to turn it. I cheap strap wrench will usually work pretty good.

some lathes have a locking lever or button... my Ridgid had a pin that you could turn and drop to "lock" the head stock, my Jet 1442 has a button on the front that you hold down and it "locks" the headstock.. then use the wrench.
I have a small faceplate with no flats for the wrench, I have to take it off with channel lock pliers.

JimB

Does your spindle has some flat areas where you could hold it with a wrench or do you have a spindle lock?? Then you can hold the spindle and use another wrench on the faceplate. In case you get it loose, you may consider putting a large plastic washer between the faceplate and the end of your spindle - you can buy them, or make them yourself from lids of a margarine or yoghurt container.

This will really help you a lot. I battled a face plate for a good 30 minutes on my really old lathe that doesn't have anything to stop the spindle. Once I got it off I made a washer and problem solved. I made mine from cardbord (from the back of a pad of paper) as suggested by someone from Woodcraft. Solved the whole problem.

This will really help you a lot. I battled a face plate for a good 30 minutes on my really old lathe that doesn't have anything to stop the spindle. Once I got it off I made a washer and problem solved. I made mine from cardbord (from the back of a pad of paper) as suggested by someone from Woodcraft. Solved the whole problem.

Yes, I heard this suggestion on IAP some months back, maybe from you Jim, but took it to heart... I had some old scrap leather that I cut a washer from and put over the headstock spindle threads... makes taking face plates and chucks much easier to remove.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Use a strap wrench on the wheel of the headstock and a wrench on the face plate, should come off with little effort. Just a piece of paper between the headstock and face plate will help to remove it next time.

Top Bottom