Noobie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ian57

Hi Guys havnt turned a pen yet. My question is; Can you reccomend a difinative book for a complete novice?
Thank you
Ian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

I only own one book so I'm not familiar with all the ones available but here's what I got after seeing it advertised on the yahoo penturning group:
The Pen Turner's Bible: The Art of Creating Custom Pens: Richard Kleinhenz: 9780941936613: Amazon.com: Books

But to be honest I got more out of reading what people say here on the forum and the library articles. Also I think I started out just by watching a video on the Woodcraft website for how to turn a pen. I went out and bought all the same tools and supplies the guy in the video had and it gave me a pretty good head start. But after I found IAP and discovered new things like CA finishes is when I really started to improve.

Edit: Guess I took too long typing....no one had responded when I started. :)

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would suggest a woodcraft 1 day course or finding someone local - you will learn a TON in a short time, then books and time on here will help even more after that!

panamag8or

I'm a noob, too, so my experience is limited. However, for over a year before I took the plunge, I read this forum and watched videos. I was well prepared by the time I got my lathe. Prepare to be hooked!

Top Bottom