Noob disassembly questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

So I have only turned three real pen kits, and have never disassembled any, but sure do need to.

I tried using the refill to push the transmission back out, but the plastic threads weren't strong enough and popped loose. To make the refill work anyway, I CA glued them back on in a different position so the refill will work.

The problem now is that a new refill will have the problem the original did....

Someone suggested buying the HF transfer punch kit for disassembly, but how do you grasp the barrels tight enough to push the nib, cap, and transmission out without damaging them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Couple things:
1. What kit (sounds like a "cross" slimline, but confirmation would help)
2. CA'ed the transmission back in????????

If you use the transfer punches, you hold the pen tightly, while striking the punches with a hammer. (Remove all jewelry, use a non-slip pad if you need to).

Better answer, put them together correctly in the first place!!!!!!![:)][:)]

Insert the transmission MOST of the way, then fine-tune after trying a refill. It is VERY easy to push in farther, MUCH harder to take out some!!

TAld

The HF transfer punch works wonders for removal. You don't need to try and push the parts apart. I have found it to be easier to use a small hammer or plastic mallet and tap them out. Remove any rings you have on to prevent scratching your wood or whatever your usings. I usually wrap a few rubber bands around the barrel or cap to help me grasp it better then tap away. Be patient - sometimes they can be stubborn but they will come apart. Hope this helps.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If this is on a 7mm (Cross-style) pen and you plan on making many more you will be well-served to make a stop block for your press. If I recall correctly, from the top of the transmission to the tip of the nib is 3.90". (Someone feel free to chime in if I've missed on the length.) Cut a "V" in the stop block so the lower barrel and transmission will fit against it, then press the components together. If you don't muck up the length of your barrels, this is a 'down and dirty' method where you only have one seating action and can be repeated successfully over and over.

JimGo

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />...you will be well-served to make a stop block for your press. ... this is a 'down and dirty' method where you only have one seating action and can be repeated successfully over and over.

But if he does that, he won't get to experience the joy that is disassembling and (occasionally) destroying what had otherwise been a beautiful pen. Man, you can be such a kill-joy Lou! [;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not only is he a "kill-joy", he's giving away trade secrets!!!!!

Isn't that against our employment contract???????

(Sorry, Underdog, I actually use such a jig in my shop too, but I haven't done a slimline in so long I forgot about it!!)

mick

Before I discovered the HF transfer punches I bought a 7mm disassembly kit from WC...I've since misplaced most of it and I now have the transfer punches anyway. The one piece I did save tho is the transmission removal block..(or thats what I'll call it for lack of a better name). This is a cone shaped piece that you insert the transmission into and the upper part of the cone supports the end of the blank as you drive the tranny out. It's much easier to remove a transmission this way....or it is for me .....lol

underdog

I just called HF about the transfer punches. Out of stock til later this month of course...[V]

Not a slimline pen, but close. It's a Presidential pen, and no I didn't CA glue the transmission in... I broke the threads off the refill trying to push the transmission out with it. [:I] Whoops! I glued the threads back on the refill in a different place than they were before so the refill works correctly with the transmission in the wrong place.

sandking

OK I don't mean to take over this thread, but I accidently dropped the bottom of a pen the other day and the CA cracked just a bit. I would have loved to just take it apart and put it back on the lathe, but didn't know how to do that. Which is the HF punch set?

jtate

HOW TO CHEAT: When you've pushed the transmission too far in on a slimline, pull the plastic part off the refill, grind down the metal end of the refill that weas inside the plastic end part, reinstall the refill and retract and extend the point again. If it doesn't retract far enough, grind off a little more of the refill. Now, it's WRONG to do this and sell the pen as though it's normal and proper and will work with wnother refill. But if the pen's just for your use, you don't have to muck about with dis-assembling it.

jtate

Bolts work nicely too. They have a nice head on them for pounding which helps you not hit your fingers.

Is anyone going to give me grief over my cheating suggestion&gt;

emackrell

transfer punch set is now on sale in HF's current mailorder catalog for $4.99.

(less than I paid for it, grr)

cheers Eileen

Firefyter-emt

I have said it before and will again. If you don't plan to re-use the tubes and want to recover the kit without even a slight chance of damage, gently squeeze the tub in the middle to break to wood off. Then use a dremel tool to grind the brass tube off at the hardware end. You only need to grind a line where the hardware is pressed in. The tube will pop open and the hardware will fall off. This way there is no damage to threads or mucking up the hardware inside or outside.

Now you can not do this to reuse the blanks, but even for a Jr. Statesman the new tubes are only like $.45 it's a lot better than damage to a $30 hareware kit!

underdog

First,

the pen in question is one I put a LOT of work into and finally got a great finish on it. So I'm not about to muck it up, although cutting a crappy tube and blank off of a perfectly good transmission is definitely an option.

Second,

I can't get the transfer punches til after they're available again, so there's definitely little lights going off in the back of my head... I gots all kind of odds and ends of stuff in my rollaway tool box that will probably work...

Third,

Has anyone ever made a transmission puller before? I drew up the basic concept and it can't be that hard to make. If I only had a metal lathe.....[:D]

MikeHelvey

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Not only is he a "kill-joy", he's giving away trade secrets!!!!!

Isn't that against our employment contract???????

That's interesting... I've been lurking around here and TPS for almost a year and it's the first I've read of using a jig to get a consistant depth on assembly. I have been doing something similar with a story stick that I stand up one a reference by my drill press and use that to see when I'm close, but do the final seating by creeping up on it. Now I see the real solution is something I can stand next to the pen that will work as a stop block. Wonderful idea!

jrc

Allways figure that the first one or two of any new kit will be messed up one way or another. It worked that way with me. That's how you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom