Non-darkening finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turningbranch

I recently turned a pen with Koa wood. It had a beautiful brown color but when I applied the CA finish it went very dark and lost the nice color I wanted.
Any suggestions on how to preserve the original color of wood? I thought of an acrylic spray finish followed by CA.
Any suggestions appreciated !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I know of no liquid product that will maintain the appearance that wood has dry. Your koa looked different before it was dried.

Closest I have experienced with a hard finish is nitro cellulose lacquer. Clear acrylics tend to add a blue tint.

Wet it with water or alcohol to estimate what a clear finish will give you for an appearance

jttheclockman

What you were looking at is dry wood. Any finish put on a dry piece of wood will change the look. CA has no color. It would look the same as if you put a clear lacquer on it. Whenever you deal with wood and you are particular about color and color change then I highly suggest you experiment before committing to good piece. This is what is done throughout the woodworking world. Oils will add a yellowish tint. Maybe you would have to bleach the wood first before adding a finish. I do this all the time with Holy wood. Chalk it up to lesson learned. :):):)

donstephan

If there is a bowl turning and/or pen turning group in your area, perhaps several could get together to make some samples and share the cost of materials. Or a woodworking store that offers finishing classes and workshops might help.

One can collect some samples of different woods and apply in different spots: blonde and orange shellac, CA, friction polish, and others. Additionally, one could make a second blond shellac application and top with a more durable finish that darkens the wood by itself.

Wildman

Can normally find this product in satin, semi gloss, or high gloss. Whatever sheen you use will take time between coats. Apply light even coats and might not need to sand between coats. Some people find imparts a blue hue but once all coats applied and dry can wet polish with micromesh to look more natural. Only need two or three coats too many coats not good.

Shop Minwax Polycrylic Semi-Gloss Base 32 fl oz Polyurethane at Lowes.com

There are other water base products that will do the same thing but check that doesn't impart amber hue!

Top Bottom